Replacement Windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

flint

I'm getting ready to start fixing up my 1970 mobile home. One project will be replacement windows. I'm planning on getting thermopane replacement windows which I'm assuming will be much heavier than the original windows. I'm assuming there is 2x2 framing but actually not sure what they used around the windows. Should I be concerned that the existing framing will not support the new windows?
Greg

I can tell you right now that your first one will be the hardest and take the longest. PLAN on having to re frame every window. I will bet right now that The stock size windows at the home centers are a different size than what you have now. That leaves two choices, order the custom size you need or reframe for a stock size. Ordering takes time and usually costs more. I always try to find a slightly larger window than what came out so you don't need to find something to fill the gap with.

If you are replacing the windows, remember that this is not the place to cheap out, I'm not saying to spend $500 on a window, but don't buy the cheapest thing out there either. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."