Ice in drain lines, sinks, faucets etc need thaw-out advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda OH

I was given title to a home that had no heat on. The owner thought that you were supposed to let the water dribble to keep the water lines from freezing.... no power on in the home... no heat tape.

I went in to find two sinks full of ice, overflowing ice onto the floors, but the bathtub faucet was still dripping.

we had low temp weather predicted for the next two weeks. So I shut off the water into the home, which may cost me the incoming water line.. I made this choice because I will not be able to watch for broken pipes in the home at it thaws....

so, I need
Brenda OH

some info on a logically game plan to stablize the home.

We will get above 32 degrees later this week, 30 and 30s in day, freezing at night.

I thought I would leave the water turned off, and let things thaw out naturally...

better answers? I may be able to borrow a salamender... but this home is going to be waiting to be fixed behind some other homes that are close to going on the market.

thanks!

when I saw the overflowing ice flows in the sinks, I thought wow, what a great way to prove letting the water drip into the drains in NOT a good idea...lol it may have some value in heated houses, but definitely not in an unheated mobile home...

BB
Greg

All you can do at this point in minimize the damage. Keep the water off and wait to see how much other damage there is once it thaws out. You may want to get some heat on inside and try to dry up the floors. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."