red toggle switch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

baska

We bought a 1999 Skyline two years ago and there is a small detail about the house that eludes us. In the laundry room we have a toggle switch on the wall next to the light switch. The light switches themselves are not toggle switches. The one in the laundry room is red, lit when it's in the on position, and we have no idea what it's doing or what it's for. Can anybody enlighten us?
Greg

Hi & welcome. If the switch its self is red that is usually a shutoff for the furnace. If it has a red light in it that comes on that is called a piloted switch, the light comes on when the switch is on. It may be for the heat tape (if you have any) or an outside light. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gman

baska wrote:We bought a 1999 Skyline two years ago and there is a small detail about the house that eludes us. In the laundry room we have a toggle switch on the wall next to the light switch. The light switches themselves are not toggle switches. The one in the laundry room is red, lit when it's in the on position, and we have no idea what it's doing or what it's for. Can anybody enlighten us?
I have one of these red lighed switches also. It shuts off power to my my electric water heater. Mine is a 1999 sunshine home.