Drying out damp earth and other dilemas

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kris

Hello to all. I own a 1984 Atlantic. I bought this from my parents MANY years ago. I don't know if it was code or not in '84, but there is no vapor barrier underneath. I want to install one, but the ground below the MH is damp.

Do I have to dry out the ground before I install the barrier? If so, what would be the best way to do so? I am trying to replace my skirting, and I figure since I am removing the skirting anyway this would the best time to address the vapor barrier issue.

My home also has the hell-forged Qest pipe :evil: . Several leaks have resulted in shredded belly wrap. IF I insulate the new skirting well enough do I really need to repair the underbelly? I know that is an odd statement, but we don't use the central air or furnace anymore because the duct-work is VERY DIRTY. This MH is surrounded by corn fields, and the ensuing dust and rodent attacks have left the ducts in bad shape.

I don't want to put alot of money into this MH because of its age. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time....
JD
Site Admin

Hi Kris and welcome to the forum,

Doing things right (or some things at all) may be pre-empted by needing to do them cheap, which is totally understandable. Now if you plan on living in this home for many years, you may have to address all of your concerns, even if it is on the cheap and over time.

If the water is caused by surface run-off, then you may be able to trench the water away from your home. If this is ground water, you may need to do something more drastic like digging in french drains to move the water away. I don't know your plot situation so wouldn't know what to advise.

I don't know if you would want to put a vapor barrier over chronically wet ground. I would be worried about growing a mold or something. But then, we rarely use vapor barriers here in my area, so I wouldn't know.

I doubt that anyone would say that it is OK not to repair the underbelly. I do know that many homes in my area have torn up underbellies for scores of years. But we have a very dry climate. Still not a good thing for homes here, I just see it a lot in the older units.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Unless you spend big bucks (or have a drought) you will never get the ground totally dry so just put the vapor barrier down before you put the skirting back up.

If you are in an area that freezes you really need to get the insulation and some type of underbelly back up to protect the pipes from freezing. Then get the skirting as tight as possible to keep the critters out. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."