Crickets! YIKES!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

I did a little remodeling in my laundry room - and re-routing the dryer exhaust required I crawl under the house. Holy Toledo! There were Jillions (with a capital "J"!) of those brown crickets on everything.

Of course the instinct is to kill'em! ..... but I had some concerns about spraying underneath and then the odors creeping up through the house - and of course the vapors would slither into my bedroom and kill me while I slept! :)

In any case, I can get under the house no problem - but staying under there while I spray that entire area doesn't sound like it would be too good for the lungs. I have a pump sprayer but I don't have a respirator. I can't get to this area without crawling under the house as the decking blocks direct access to the skirting.

Is it time to call out a service company and let them handle it?? I'm wide open for ideas!
Greg

Found this link for you, There is probably a nateral way way to get rid of them also. Greg

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/crickets.htm
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Really good fish bait.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Brenda OH reregister

Hi Mark,

I found a gardening video that says crickets dislike strong smelling spices such as cinnamon, garlic, curry, black pepper, etc. if you can find a cheap spice that you like the scent of, maybe try that under the home. I did not see peppermint mentioned in that video, but I have heard spiders dislike peppermint.

they also are said to not like lavender plants, so a longer term plan would be to plant lavendar near the skirting....

hope that helps

Brenda (OH)
flcruising

I'd just use a can of bug fog. But once you kill them, you'll still have a jillion crickets, albeit dead. ;)
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Brenda (OH)

I live where we get the 17 years locust, and you might want to drive some of the insects out before you bomb.

When the locust die off, we get quite a stench from the rotting bodies. not as bad as a dead animal, but definitely unpleasant.

Brenda (OH)