Tracing an electrical short

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

I am trying to locate the source of an electrical short. I have one room with 3 outlets and an overhead light that will not operate and another room with a closet light that will not operate.

All of these are on the front side of the home and I cannot locate a GFI on that side of the home. I also tested each of the breakers in the panel and they all tested fine.

I tested all nearby outlets and they have power coming in and going out, except for one that is the last in the chain and does not have outgoing wires.

The problem area is directly above where the Molex connectors are that transfer the power from the back side of the home to the front side.

Is it possible for one of those connectors to go bad? Can they be unplugged and replugged while the power is on? I see that they can be opened up. Are there any serviceable parts in there or is that just for wiring?

Jeff
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
Greg

Jeff, as you know we have a standard answer for specific electrical (and Gas) questions. If you are unsure of yourself call a qualified electrician, this type of work is no place for on the job training. Your life and the ones living with you are too valuable. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."