Roof Help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Gillyman

Hello
I have been reading the forums for some time now great site with loads of information. I have purchased the manual excellent book. I have a few questions it would be appreciated if anyone can help out and before I forget my mobile home is from 1976 with a doom roof no overhang which would be added with the roof over.

Where can I buy the materials for doing a roof over? (I am located in Canada Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and yes I did check the local hardware stores example home depot, central, home hardware)

Are there any other products beside metal for the roof over?
Greg

Hi & welcome. Check the phone book for roofing supplies, or if you can find any Pole barn contractors it is the same type of steel.

Check posts by JD, our roofing expert, he has posted some links to some wholesale suppliers that he has. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have linked some online suppliers for metal building supplies, but I don't have first hand experience in buying from them. I suggest that everyone seek out their local suppliers first. Metal building are everywhere. High pitched metal roofs are popular in snow areas. On a quick google, I did not find a supplier in Nova Scotia, but contractors like Eascan, Lingman, Higgins, Joneljim Concrete get their products from someone who services those areas.

I do recommend pole barn and metal building suppliers because they will have a better grade of product, accessories for eaves, ridges and protrusions and first hand experience to give you better advice.

Products like foam board, moisture barriers and batten strips can be purchased at local home stores. I'd get my fasteners from the metal suppliers. Marks book would be an excellent how-to guide. There are also images uploaded by Rod (member name) that shows some of the process. Just do a forum post search for 'Rod' or look up his profile and click 'All posts by this memeber' or whatever the term is.

Hope this helps.
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
suncrest79

About every 3 years I pay a guy to coat my metal roof with the silver dollar stuff. He only charges about $200 more than the cost of the materials, so well worth it.

As far as a new roof is concerned you also have the option of a rubber roof. I replaced the roof on my attached porch with a 15 x 15 foot sheet of rubber roofing that I purchased from the following supplier:

http://www.flatroofsolutions.com/45mil- ... -price.php

Due to rot I had to tear off my entire porch roof, including the beams. The rubber roofing took me less than a day, especially since I was attaching it to brand new plywood.

However, if your roof has been sealed in the past with any asphalt based products, like the silver dollar coatings, then the rubber roof can not be attached directly over it. You would have to screw thin plywood to the existing roof, or maybe scrape the existing roof down to the original metal and prime it.

I have done a lot of repairs and improvements to my mobile home over the years, but the roof scares the hell out of me. I really wish the rubber roofing could be used directly over my existing roof with the many layers of asphalt coatings. If so I might actually attempt it as it would save a LOT of money compared to hiring someone to do it. And it really is fairly easy to work with.

Good luck with your project.