water heater closet floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Barbara

Has anyone ever had a problem after upgrading a water heater to a larger size? I am referring to the added weight. My water heater was a 30 gallon natural gas heater and I just replaced it with a 40 gallon electric. The floor was in good shape other than the holes necessary for piping and venting of the gas unit. Those were patched.

My home is a 1987 Rollohome and the flooring is in good condition throughout the home. The old water heater never leaked and the floor looked fine but it is the cheap flooring, not plywood.

I hope the added weight of a larger water heater is not going to be a problem on the existing floor. When the heater was installed I was told it would be OK but still I wonder if I need to get under the home and brace that floor in some manner.

I often worry about things that in the end I do not need to worry about so if that's what I am doing now, feel free to say so :) I am a fairly new homeowner, so I am still learning.
Greg

As long as it physically fits you should be fine. Make sure you have electric service enough to handle it. I would double check the floor as long as it is out

Consider buying a floor pan for the new heater also, it will help protect the floor should any leak develop.

You may want to think about adding a 24 hour timer so it does not run when no one is home or over night when there is no water usage. Ours is set to run from 5-8AM & 4-10PM. there is a manual over ride if you do need to run it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."