Why....doesn't my water stay hot?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

98REDMAN

Hopefully this isn't in the wrong section, but i couldn't really find a place i thought it would fit better in. Anyway, i am the second owner of the home and i believe that the hot water heater which is electric has never been replaced or serviced. I don't know what brand or model it is. If it matters i can pull the panel off and get some more info. Anyway the hot water probably only last about 10 min maybe in the shower, and then it turns freezing cold. If you wait about 30-45min and turn the hot water its hot for about 5 min then freezing cold again. The Only time the hot water is used is to wash dishes and i get a shower every morning. It only started doing this about 2 weeks ago. The rest of the time we lived there it was fine. So i really don't know whats wrong here. Could it be a thermostat or do i need another hot water heater. Like i said earlier the hot water heater is electric. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
shadow745

Sounds like a bad element. Here's what you can do..... turn off the breaker going to the unit and make sure the power is off by checking with voltmeter. Then simply disconnect the wires off each element. Check the continuity with an ohm/amp type meter.... if the element conducts electricity then it's OK, if not then replace it. BUT you can replace both elements for $20-40 in most cases and I would do so while I'm in there. You can also replace both thermostats for $20 on average. So if the tank is in good shape you can basically rebuild the entire thing for about $60 and be good to go for a long time. Also, flush the sediment from the tank a few times yearly. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
Mark
Site Admin

Like shadow745 said, it's mostly likely a heating element. Not a hard fix, but goes easiest if you shut off the power and drain the water tank first.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Greg

Depending on the age & condition of the heater, you may be time & money ahead to just replace it. new heaters (electric) are usually under $200. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TonyPa

Greg is right. When I bought my first house that happened. I just replaced the tank, and got it overwith. The electric ones are pretty cheap. One of your elements probably went out. Of course, just my opinion.
RandyD

Mark wrote: Not a hard fix, but goes easiest if you shut off the power and drain the water tank first.

Mark
This way you won't get electrocuted or get flooded out :D
Barbara

Here is something to consider:

I just replaced my water heater. Even though I never ran out of hot water, I would hear it come on at night four, five, six times a night. No water was being used so it seemed odd it had to re-heat so often.

There was never a leak and other than the pilot light going out from time to time and needing to be relit, the water heater was working OK.

Since it was 12 years old I decided to replace it, partly because I could afford to do it now but mostly because I wanted to avoid a costly emergency down the road (at a time when I could not afford it).

When the old heater was removed we saw that the tank was split wide open all along the seam. Somehow it was still water-tight, but this was a disaster just waiting to happen.

If a water heater is not old, repairs can be simple and inexpensive. When they get old, it is usually best to replace rather than repair.
98REDMAN

Thanks to everyone for the info. Its greatly appreciated. I have looked into it, and have decided to replace the water heater. Now a couple questions...Can you just buy any hot water heater or is the a special type you need to by for trailer or not? Also how are they attached to the floor? Are they clamped or bolted form underneath the floor, or are they soldered with brackets to the floor. I havent actually looked at the heater other than one time. Its kind of a pain to get to. Its in the laundry room and you have to move the washer and dryer, and unscrew a panel to get to it. Also would it be easier to have it installed or is it something an "average joe" can do. Anymore info is still greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
flcruising

Replacing a water heater IS something the "average joe" can do. The easiest way is with one of the same size and plumbing configuration.

What you need to do is take some measurements of the one you have so you know what will fit in the same space. Then, note or take pictures of the locations of the inlet/outlet, drain valve and T&P valve. If you can't find one similar, then additional plumbing would be required to connect everything back up. Get one with the same number of heating elements and wattage, and the electric service requirements will be the same.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

As long as you stay with electric if the heater will fit in the space you should be OK with any size unit. I would put a floor pan under it as long as you have it out. It will show any leaks and help contain them. I would change the pop off valve also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
tritontr

Just a few suggestions to look into.
1. What kind of water piping do you have (poly,pex, cpvc)?
2. As Gregg suggested install a new drain pan underneath the heater if one is not there and run a drain to the outside.
3. See if your system may need a thermal expansion tank installed along with the heater.
4. Install cut-off valves if none exsist.
5. If you decide to go to a larger tank capacity make sure your electrical wiring and the breaker to the heater are the correct size.