Sink drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Seacoast Sharon

Ok my plumber friend told me the best way to get the hair out of my bathroom sink drain is to take out the drain stopper and jiggle a coat hanger. But I cannot for the life of me pop it out whatsoever. Any suggestions.
Greg

I have seen a plastic strip about 18" long with teeth on the sides that you slip down the drain, the teeth grap the hair when you pull it out.

Check Lowes or Home depot, possibly Ace or True value. Greg

Here is a link.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lorne

How about some Draino and let it sit a while.
Or unscrew the P-Trap in case the clog is there? Just a thought.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

Hi,

Greg is right...and Drano or any other product similar will only pass by the hair. Those products only work when there is a complete clog so it sits and works on it, opposed to running down the drain.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

The tool is called "zip-it" and they work great.

Brenda
Greg S

I assume the stopper is the type that is permanently in the sink and operated from above with a rod. If this is the case look under the sink and you will see a connection from that rod into the back of the drain pipe. Unscrew the rod from the drain pipe and remove it. The stopper should now lift out of the drain. Replace in the reverse order lining up the hole in the stopper arm with the opening in the back of the drain pipe under the sink.

Hopefully this is what you are asking about.
Seacoast Sharon

Greg S wrote:I assume the stopper is the type that is permanently in the sink and operated from above with a rod. If this is the case look under the sink and you will see a connection from that rod into the back of the drain pipe. Unscrew the rod from the drain pipe and remove it. The stopper should now lift out of the drain. Replace in the reverse order lining up the hole in the stopper arm with the opening in the back of the drain pipe under the sink.

Hopefully this is what you are asking about.
The rod above is broke, it just slides right out but underneath I do see the arm and it does move the stopper up and down but I still cannot get the stopper out, guess I'll try to unscrew it somehow.

Thanks for all the ideas I'll try the zip thingy.
flcruising

[color=blue]Aaron[/color]