Water softener salt cause issues with septic system???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hi-Tek Redneck

Our water here is pretty hard, and I'm sure one of these days I'm going to have to replace the water heater, unclog pipes and such due to it...

We do have a reverse osmosis system installed for drinking water / fridge water under the sink, but that does nothing for the rest of the house.

I've had the same water quality company suggest a water softener system under the house but didn't like the idea of having a hole cut in the main drain line under the house for the water softening system to drain into the septic system and leech field...

1) It's a "gap" drain where their pipe hangs over the hole in my drain pipe... I'd think if I ever had any blockages, I wouldn't find it until my crawl space was full of waste water & feces due to it coming out that hole.

2) When I asked the specific question, they couldn't provide any guarantees the salt waste from the system wouldn't destroy the bacteria in my septic system! Not something I'd want to take a chance on!

Anyone have a softener system with any suggestions?

Thanks!
Suzque49

We have lived here for 7 yrs, the former owners had a water softener that used salt installed but when we moved in,we changed it out with a new system that includes a reverse osmosis system under the sink, but uses potassium instead of salt. We have never had any problem at at all with it. The softener sits on the end of the house where the water comes in from the well. It has a drain line that connects to the main drain with a y connection, sealed just like any y connector in your plumbing would be. Get a few other opinions. But as far as the septic system, no problem for us. Of They probably will not "guarantee" anything because of all the law suits that some people like to file.
Susan
Hi-Tek Redneck

Thanks for your post Suzque 49. 8)

Maybe I'm digging a little too deep, but is there some sort of valve that keeps whatever septic gasses there are in the homes drain pipe out of your softening system?
shadow745

We've been using our softener for about 4 years and also have a septic system. A softener really wasn't needed because our water is relatively soft at around 3 grains, but we brought it from our previous home and just wanted it installed. Problem we have is low PH and fluctuating iron. Ended up getting a chem feed system to offset these issues and at first I dug a dry well for this system (including the softener) to drain into. Basically a hole 2-3 feet wide and 3-4 feet deep filled with gravel. But when we had seamless gutters and commercial downspouts installed I plumbed the drain from our water treatment system to run into this new gutter/downspout system and it runs under our driveway in corrugated pipe and down the hill.

When the Rainsoft guy was here I asked him if the softener could feed into the septic. He said it shouldn't hurt the bacteria, but for it to be installed properly the gap fitting you speak of couldn't be used in our state (NC) under current code. When the softener was installed at our previous home (1997) it was fine, but not now. He went on to say it'd have to be plumbed in using a Studor valve/vent and a few other things to be under code. He also said "IF" the softener was to have an issue and be stuck in a backflushing mode it could possibly flood the septic system. He said the most common way (and perfectly legal) to drain it was into a dry well or down a hill where it will be absorbed anyway. It has never caused any issues either with plants, trees, etc. Hope this helps. Later!
Do what you can today, as you might not be here tomorrow!
oldfart

Hi-Teck...here's a 2 part response. #1... I wouldn't want my water-softener draining into my septic tank because I do think the influx of salt would cause some problem sooner or later. Either thru the normal function of the water softener or due to the overflow shooting salt directly into the septic tank. Salt has a bad effect on the bacteria we need to compost the "chunky parts" in the septic tank. I'd re-direct the overflow line anywhere but the septic tank. Also..I don't think it's a good idea to let the "normal" drain line go into the tank for the same reason. I would choose a "gray-water" exit line if it's allowable in your area. #2....the exit lines on the water softener are usually soft clear plastic lines. If you curl the lines up into a circle/loop somewhere before they enter the septic line this creates a "trap." Try this and see if it makes sense....take a length of clear flexible hose..size doesn't matter. A piece of aquarium hose will work dandy. Lay it out flat on the floor and make a loop in the hose with one end high (exit) and one end low. (drain) Keep the loop vertical..the hose layed flat. Now pour some water in it. See how the water flows to the bottom of the loop? That is the trap that keeps septic odors out of the water softener. Audie..the simple Oldfart..