Weird bathtub in older mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mary and Griffin

I bought a 1977 Champion last summer and have been working on it little by little, as money allows. I just can't figure out the bathtub. I has this piece of board on the front of it. It's screwed down somewhat but is warped so I can actually push down on the bottom of it to make it straight, but one side of it isn't screwed at all and I want to pull the whole dang thing off, but I'm afraid I'm getting into more than I can handle right now. Does anyone know what this board is and can I easily replace it? It's definitely not part of the tub...the tub is gold metal and this is just a flimsy white panel. I'm only looking for a temporary fix until I have the $$ to do over the bathroom. Thanks for any advice. I don't have a digital camera, or else I'd attach a pic.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
JD
Site Admin

The flimsy white panel may be a bath paneling similar to Thrifty White or Tileboard (has tile grid lines) sold at most home stores. It also may be RFP panel (reinforced fiberglass panel). What ever it is, it sounds like it was added at some point. This is basically a vanity panel to keep you from seeing under the tub.

If you can push the panel in with your foot and it looks straight, maybe just pushing a piece of shoe base or scribe molding against the panel until the panel is straight and then nailing down the trim. The best way to fix it is to remove the panel and nail down a furring strip to be able to nail the panel to keep it straight. Nail holes can be caulked or keep them real low and cover them with the shoe base molding.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mary and Griffin

JD wrote:The flimsy white panel may be a bath paneling similar to Thrifty White or Tileboard (has tile grid lines) sold at most home stores. It also may be RFP panel (reinforced fiberglass panel). What ever it is, it sounds like it was added at some point. This is basically a vanity panel to keep you from seeing under the tub.

If you can push the panel in with your foot and it looks straight, maybe just pushing a piece of shoe base or scribe molding against the panel until the panel is straight and then nailing down the trim. The best way to fix it is to remove the panel and nail down a furring strip to be able to nail the panel to keep it straight. Nail holes can be caulked or keep them real low and cover them with the shoe base molding.

JMO
JD
Thanks for the reply.....think I'll try that, but I don't know if it will work because this board is really warped and it takes a lot of pressure to push it back. I wonder what I'd find if I pulled it off...maybe better off not knowing :)
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
Yanita

Hi,

Well if it is warped is it possibly from getting wet repeatedly? If so, you may want to check it out. I don't think removal would be all that hard, and to replace it should be easy enough as well. Lowe's/Home Depot sells 4x8 sheets of wall panels that look like embossed tiles etc for around 20.00 a sheet. Might give you the cosmetic upgrade you are looking for.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bendixg

JD wrote: The best way to fix it is to remove the panel and nail down a furring strip to be able to nail the panel to keep it straight. Nail holes can be caulked or keep them real low and cover them with the shoe base molding.

JMO
JD
I think that should be better thing to do with it.... remove the panel and nail down a furring strip..

Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried to pull it off, but it wouldn't budge. There were only a couple of screws (not normal screws by the way) but I just couldn't manage to get it off. I was going to use a crowbar, but I was afraid I'd crack the tub. So, since I was able to push it in, I got base molding like suggested and nailed it up against the bottom. Then I caulked and painted it, and it actually looks ok....well, as "ok" as a 1977 mobile bathtub can be. :lol:
oldfart

Aye folks one of the great mysteries in life must be..."How can a piece of bowed 1/4in. particle board arch out so hard and defy any mere mortal attempt to force it back into place...and yet..the same material can be used on our floors (3 times the thickness!!!) and the sweat from a mouse can soften it so much the entire 12x60 floor will drop like rotted horse-poop and fall to the ground??" Go figger. Audie..the Oldfart...still baffled and perplexed by it all...