Replacing Windows and Outside Wall Board...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Boy did I bite off more than I can chew on this one. We're replacing 5 windows (4 of them 62x40 and 1 is 30x39) on our 89 Schultz 16x66 single wide. After doing some research we've decided to go with the new construction single hung windows. One thing that baffles me is the clear frame windows are 4" in depth where as the ones with the grids are like 2.??" in depth. So we have to go with those since our wall depth is only 3". Anyway, we're going to go smaller on the kitchen window like the 30x36 since I'm going to have to re frame the window sill anyway due to bad bad bad rot. This window is located under the carport which some jerky forgot to put the flashing back on the top of the carport to keep the water from running down the side of the house (which it does and we have had mold growing out there.. big ones - yuk!!! So in replacing this window i plan to take down the carport since it's attached to the side of the house (they all are around here) so I can replace that whole wall panel. Hope y'all are following this. So anyways, I'm up for the chore (even though I've never done anything like this before) and just wanted to see if anyone can give me tips to make this a good idea in the end and not a huge mistake. thanks y'all!!!

SEE THE WOOD AT THE TOP BY THE CARPORT HAS ROTTED TOO. UGH!!!
kamikaze
blbrade1

Looks like ya got a big mess there. The good thing is that you have wood siding instead of metal like mine. It should be a fairly simple fix. That doesn,t mean it,s not gonna be hard work though. Since you have ALOT of rot there I would remove any wallboard inside too floor to ceiling to replace the rotten framing. After you get that done you can insulate and install your window making sure to caulk under the nailing flange all the way around the window. And since you have the wall open I would maek sure to have some kind of vapor barrier on both sides of the wall. This will condensation build up from happening. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN Oh yeah make sure too replace siding and dry-wall you probabally could have figured that out on your own though
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
Yanita

Hi,

Saw this thread after answering your other one...this is the reason not to double hang sheetrock on interior walls...mold, mold, mold...Granted this is caused from the car port attachment, but you can bet the mold has worked its way to the back of the original wall board, and will bleed into the new.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Do your self a favour and install a house wrap (Tyvek, Typar) when you are rebuilding. It will help keep the wet off the exterior wall, yet will breathe so vapour can escape.

Jim