siding question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jimk

Hi all, I plan on doing vinyl siding this summer and have a question about finishing off the trim. I am unsure exactly how to go over the brown painted trim. Its a foot of overlap siding board both long sides of the house , plus my end gables . I'm trying to get pictures up loaded I'm not sure if fascia is the right idea over this at least the long walls. There is no roof overhang as it it is metal.
Last edited by jimk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yanita

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the site. I just enabled your upload pic abilities. Please go to your orginal post click edit and then in the upper corner of the new box that will open you should see an upload pic icon.

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Most just use J channel tucked under the gutters. You can do a search, there are lots of siding threads here. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I can see you dilemma here. As the vinyl corner trim goes up, it will mess up as it gets to the dark brown trim. Cutting the trim to end under the soffit but continue up the side will make for a chronic leak problem for sure. Also, I believe that you would find that if you cut out the brown trim on the side of the home that the siding will not go up all the way under the roof metal.

The way pros would usually handle this is to cover the dark brown areas with matching rolled aluminum custom made trim. They will use a 'Port-a-Brake' and bend the aluminum to fit on site. This will enable them to trim the dark brown area under the front to match the dark brown trim that follows the roof line. Under the overhang, they would go back to a vinyl soffit panel.

There are several advantages to using aluminum as the dark brown trim. It allows the brown trim (or whatever color trim you choose) to wrap around to the front area, especially at the roof rakes. It would also allow you to make the trim a little thicker where the bottom of the 10" dark side trim is, to give more protection to the top of the vinyl siding and finish trim. By having a big lip sticking out there, they can seal off the top course of siding. I would make it thick enough to protect the top of the vinyl corner trim, because it sticks out a little further than the siding and is wide open at the top. Very difficult to seal without something over the top of it.

There may be alternative materials that could be used in place of the custom aluminum. But if it were me, and I did not have access to a metal brake or experience in making this trim, I would hire a siding company to do just the metal work, and then DIY the vinyl siding. This should give you a water tight and professional looking job.

Another option would be to remove the brown trim sticking out on the side of the home so the vinyl siding can go up to the top. You'd have to fill in the blank spot at the top. Then there is dealing with how to seal off the top course, the corner trim and wrap around to the top of the front of the house.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Rod

Jim,

Any future plans of a new roof? If so do that first. You can add a small over hang to include fascia & soffitt. (I believe there is an article on this site about that) Going with that thought of the roof. If you cut the returns at the gable ends back, you could pad out the top 6" of the sidewalls with a 2x6. Install fascia over that and run your corner post up to the bottom of the fascia. This should give you enough coverage over the corner post. You may want to take a few measurements first. This will also allow you to install insulation board before the siding as well. If you do the insulation put the corner posts on first so as not to push them out off the wall and expose the top of the post.

Regarding cutting back the return, the box should be reduced to the same size as the fascia.

Of course this all hinges on doing the roof first.

If you are able to do this it will give it a clean finished look.

Rod
blbrade1

Hi jim tyour sollution is petty simple I would remove the bown siding and get some o.s.b. or ply wood the same thickness as the lighter colored stuff and just fill the void between the top of the old siding and roof edge. This will then allow the new to go on without a bump. Also I would remove old corner trim before installing fan-fold and tyvek. As far as sealing the top of the new corner trim put j-chennel so it covers the hole in the top and tab down 1 inch of end for water run off and run it out to the corner trim you will have to put on your "bird house." Good luck
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!