Questions about re-leveling?????

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

phurst

Hey everyone,
This topic is kind of attached to an older topic "ceilings cracks". I recently went under our house to try what has been suggested for squeaky floors "tightening joist bolts" which worked for that issue but I found another issue which I think might be tied to the ceilings cracking. :(

There are two blocking piers that at first, looked like they were extra's left behind by the set up crew but after further inspection I think that for some reason they were taken out of place. :? This was bought as a foreclosure and sat empty for three years, so any one could have gone under the house and done anything. The cement runners under all other piers that are in place have painted lines under them and there are lines where it looks like these two out of place piers came from, so I do think a re-level is in order like Yanita and Greg suggested previously. :)

What should I look for as far as a qualified person to do the re-level? I contacted the two manufactured home companies here and they both recommended the same person without knowing it, but not sure that this means that he knows what he is doing. Any suggestions on questions that I might ask him to find out how qualified he is to do the job right? I’m not sure what other options I have (live in a rural area) besides doing it myself and I have no experience with re-leveling a home. :(
Pete Hurst

Jerome Idaho
JD
Site Admin

Your logic on pier placement is a pretty good bet. The marks would make a person believe that the placement marks are where the factory drawings indicated they should be. But without the factory drawing to go by, it is still just a good bet. The placement could be under load bearing walls or if not load bearing, it might be where the factory engineers felt the support was needed.

On the question of who to choose to do your leveling, the recommended guy may or may not be committed to the best level possible. Sounds like he may be the favored contractor for their set-ups. If he is their main choice for doing business with, then they would recommend him first in the one hand washes the other thinking. Their recommendation does imply that he knows what he is doing and has plenty of experience though. Probably another good bet. But it is possible that this contractor is the one offering the best price for merely acceptable service, making him the dealers favorite contractor.

Without being able to check the level yourself, you really are at the mercy of whoever you choose. Getting recommendations from other mobile home owners can be good. Even if they are also not able to check the level themselves, their recommendation may come from their opinion of the contractor's honesty and dedication to customer satisfaction.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

In addition to what JD said, IF anyone comes to your home with a carpenters level, send them home without a check. This requires a water level or other type of level. Just checking the interior doors for swing and opening and closing of windows does not always mean your home is level either.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!