Generator size

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buckmaster27012

0 degree temps have got me thinking that I need a generator. Here lately not ice but see it happening anytime now. Wondering what size generator do yall think I would need for my 16x80. Really only worried about maybe running heat at times to keep chill down and well pump to circulate some water. Dont know if 8000 is enough or need to go a little more. What does anybody else have? Thanks
flcruising

The simplest way is to go around to the appliances you want to use and add up the wattage from their data plates. Even if they are intermittent like a well pump. Then you won't have to guess. Though most will probably have the amperage listed, it's a very easy conversion to watts.

watts = volts X amps
[example: 110v X 10amp = 1100 watts]

Electric heating appliances (water heaters, stoves, microwaves, etc.) can use ALOT of energy.

And don't max out the generator, you need some safety factor there. If you come up with 7600 watts needed, you may want to go with a 10kw not an 8kw generator.

Another thing is determine how to supply the power to the house. Obviously a bunch of extension cords is not the best way. You would want a transfer switch installed so you can essentially hook up your backup power to the service panel or meter, and not backfeed into the grid. This would essentially keep your house working as normal. You just have to be more aware of what's running (phantom loads too).
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

If you are planning on running the house as if you were "on line" and not on auxilery power 10-12 KW would do it. Now remember that you will need to fuel it also. If you have Natural gas avalable you may want to look into a N.G. or propane powered unit.

A standby generator can be a sizable investment so plan on sticker shock if you want to do a whole house perminant unit. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."