siding prob.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tinyone

Hi, again, hopefully this thread won't get shut down :roll:
Anyways, I've had this ongoing problem I have a double window in my living room. It leaks water from the top when there's heavy rain. Right now of course, it's the dead of winter, luckily no (melted or otherwise) snow has come in.
The siding above the window, a corner of it, is sticking up at almost a right angle.
There's not much I can do now, & I have had it 'repaired' however, I got ripped of, so of course that's not much goo.
I wonder, if I get up there & like 'tack it down' w/something (don't know what) would that work? Weather permitting, of couse. Thanks in advance.
Brenda (OH)

this may work as a temporary fix,

there is a flashing material in the roofing departments that is tar on one side, aluminum foil like material on the other. with paper over the sticky tar.
it comes on like a 6 ft roll, maybe like 10 feet of it?

you could get the siding flat, apply the flashing, then heat it up with a heat gun, or maybe a blow dryer, have a piece of wood handy, and quickly gently rub the foil to get a good seal.

it is at least something you can do in cold weather. most caulk etc wants temperatures in the 40s or 50 degrees to cure.

hope this helps, and that other folks have some other ideas.

Brenda (OH)
tinyone

Hey, THANKS Brenda! I'm going to leave it for now, way too cold. Not to mention I must rent at least a 7ft ladder, to get way up there. Any/all suggestions are appreciated! :wink:
flcruising

Pictures would help.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
tinyone

Hi again. Well, now it's much worse.
We've had extreme (below zero, basically for 2 mo.). Now, it's very rainy, & windy but warmer. It is supposed to drop next week (at night) in the teens.
Anyway, about 3 feet of the siding above my 2 LR window, has peeled, (prob. from all the rain?) and it flapping & hanging there.
I have had 2 ppl rip me off that I had prev. paid to fix it. Now I don't really have the $.
I get what Brenda says, but keep in mind I (or whoever) has to go up on at least a 7ft. ladder to get at this siding. Thanks.
Greg

Tiny, just a thought, rather than rent for $20-30, buy one, not that much more. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
tinyone

Rent what??? I have no job, even $30.00 is a lot for me, for what ever you're talking about, thanks.T
Yanita

Hi,

One of your post clearly says rent a ladder....if you have vinyl siding Lowe's sells a tool to use that clips the vinyl pieces back together. To leave the area open will create alot more damage.

Yanita

Oh, and the locking of post...they get locked when they are a month old or sooner if they have have been answered or answers start to become redundant.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
blbrade1

If your window is leaking, and you have some damaged siding, that is most likely the cause. What you need to do is get up there, somehow, borrow a neighbors ladder or something. Remove the damaged and any loose siding after you do that inspect it for cracks and breaks. Now when you get ready to put the siding back on just clip it back in place making sure that it is the same height as the rest, and at least 1 1/4 inch over lap. Be sure to nail into something solid (studs usually 16" on center) and don't pound the nail all the way tight to the siding (just until it barely touches). You should be able to move the siding side to side, this allows for expansion and contraction. Don't be intimidated it's easy just think of it as big Lego's. I hope this help you out if you have any more questions I would gladly answer them if I can.
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
tinyone

Hi, well the park said they'd fix it, & they did, Fri. But. It's now hanging down again, the way it was. :cry: I'm not real good on ladders. I can't borrow anything, my neighbors are just not cool that way. I'll have to rent 1, (has t/b @ least 7ft) then get up there w/the flashing sticky 'tape' stuff like was suggested I guess? :oops:
PS--I know it was prob. already said, but what do I use to 'clip' the siding with, what's it called? Thanks.
Greg

Tiny, here is a link that may help. Greg

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/exte ... eplace.htm - 21k -
blbrade1

Did you pay the park if so i would have them come back because they apparently haven't fixed the problem they were paid to fix
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
tinyone

blbrade1 wrote:Did you pay the park if so i would have them come back because they apparently haven't fixed the problem they were paid to fix
No, they did it free. I think the only reason they did fix it, was b/c they were afraid it would damage one of their houses :roll: (both rental & owners, here). This piece of siding has fallen off many X's. It's gotten worse w/the different weather changes, wind, over time, etc. I am going to try & fix myself, (with that sticky roll stuff mentioned) Wed., maybe, it's suposed to be 40's. Hopefully not too windy.

Greg, thanks for the link. I really can't do all that, it's over 7ft up for one thing, it's too cold & windy (most of the time). Right now I just want/need a temp (hopefully fast) 'fix' for it.
Yanita

Hi,

I guess I need clarification as to why the vinyl siding does not stay attached once nailed back into place.

We get that it is at least 7 feet up, they make 8,10,12' plus size ladders.

Not sure what this "sticky stuff" is that you are going to use and really not sure what good it will do. What ever you put up there will have to cover the last piece of siding or the water will continue to get down behind the siding.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Can you get us some pictures?? Greg