Hot Water Tank, leaking?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Rundell

Hello,
I have a 94 Clayton 16 x 76 I believe this is the original electric hot water tank. I have city water, since i got the place 6 months ago. Anyways, I was checking the tank the other day and noticed the floor was all wet around the tank. I know it hasn't been that way for long since I checked it a few weeks maybe a month ago and there was no sign of water. Some other things I noticed is that on the very bottom of the tank the insulation is soaking wet for about a 1/2 inch up.

I ended up putting the tank up on the edge of 3 2x4 blocks so I could get a heater near it and dry the floor up and monitor the situation.
I was able to dry up the floor (thankfully I have tongue and grooved osb floors and in that room its the green stuff) the insulation never really dried around the water heater. However it doesn't seem to be leaking all the much. For the past few days no water has been collecting under the unit. When I put my hand under the unit i might get a drop or two worth of water.

I know the pipes are not leaking and the pressure relief valve is not causing it as well.

My question is would condensation be causing this? Or could the water heater be leaking? Any way to check for sure?
SchemeFighter

The water heater has probably rusted through and you probably have a pinhole in the hot water heater tank. I doubt it would be condensation because a hot water heater tank is relatively hot and less likely to have condensation. Even if there was condensation would be doubtful enough that enough would accumulate to pool. You probably either try to find a new hot water heater tank before your floor rots, and you have mold and mildew problems out and before the leak becomes massive.

Though it could be an overflow issue if you're overflow drains on the floor, you might want to try diverting your overflow into a bucket and see if it accumulates in the bucket. If it does you might have an expansion or a valve problem, which usually can be a resolved by replacing the hot water heater.
Yanita

Hi,

Also make sure to remove all wet insulation, it is no good now, even if/when it dries out. When/if you replace your water heater be sure to get a pan (specifically made for this purpose) to set your tank into. We also sell in our online parts store water/moisture detectors, you set it near your tank or other incoming water areas and it will sound an alarm when moisture is present.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hot water heaters are usually insulated well enough that condensation is not an issue. I would lean towards a rusted/leaking tank. I would replace it as soon as you are able. the last thing you need is a totally bursted tank, especally if no one is home at the time. I would also think about shutting off the supply line to it (if there is one) when you leave the home.

This may sound a little extream, but it is far easier than a major clean up. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
SchemeFighter

Yanita wrote:When/if you replace your water heater be sure to get a pan (specifically made for this purpose) to set your tank into. We also sell in our online parts store water/moisture detectors, you set it near your tank or other incoming water areas and it will sound an alarm when moisture is present
Thanks. When I saw the condition of my hot water heater box and how it was set up I was wishing for something like that. I was thinking of trying to find a pan or make one that could be devised into a collection and spillway so that hopefully I could detect the leak before it became a problem. When it comes time for me to replace the butchered hot water plumbing to my bathtub I will definitely try to see if there’s anything like you mentioned prefabricated that I can afford.

It’s definitely worth a few bucks of insurance to reduce the risk of having rotted out structure and mold and mildew particularly if you have allergies to them like me.