Painting Walls

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lacombek

Hi there,
I notice this is a famous subject in your forum. Your website has been very informative. We have the famous vinyly wallboard in our mobile home. I have already pulled the batten strips down and filled and sanded with dry wall compound. Now I am left with walls with strips of mud on them and I not sure about what to do next. I would like to texture the walls to cover up my mud work. I have done the work so far by myself while my husband is working. Someone told me to mix the dry wall compound and kilz primer together and to just roll it onto the wall. However I have have seen several threads stating that I should prime before I do anything. We still have our furniture in the room and we have small children so I am trying not to make to much of a mess. Can you help with some of you expert advise? :roll:
Greg

Hi & welcome. You have two choices, you could skim coat the rest of the wall with joint compound and make the whole wall smooth. Or find a texture mix and texture the whole wall. Personally I like a smooth wall so I have skim coated some of ours.

A clean surface is the key to doing anything. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
lacombek

Hi,
Thanks for your quick response. If I just go ahead and texture, can I just use the compound thinned out to texture or should I buy a specific type of texture. Skimming the wall sound like it would work well too. I am just plum warn out from doing the seems from where the batten strips were. My husband has been working so I have been doing this myself. OMG! The sanding almost killed me.LOL. I of course want to do this right and I don't want it to look sloppy. I don't mind having a texture whether it be orange peel or the one that one of your members did with the stomping brush. :roll:
Greg

You can use regular joint compound, and a roller if you want, I have done ceilings that way. The only problem I can see with a texture wall is if it gets chipped you will have a smooth spot. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

I personally do not care for the look of texture when applied with a roller. I textured several walls in my home...simply trowel on the compound, thinly, into any or no design/pattern that you want. Do a Google on Venetian plaster. About every site that you find will have great pics at very high dollar applications and waaayyyy to many steps to achieve the look.

My method gives the same appearance and much cheaper and easier to do.

As I said I trowel the compound on to desired thickness, let cure a few days, paint color of your choice, find a complimentary glaze, rag that on and you are done.

I have found most mobiles have very limited full walls. So you can do a section at a time with very minimal labor and time. I have done alot of this in my home...

Read as many past threads as you care to and decided on which look appeals to you the most and then slowly work your way around your room or home.

Also do not forget to look through personal photo albums, there are many pics to be seen. Just click on Albums in the task menu and follow the prompts.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lacombek

Hi there,
Its me again! Ok if i roll the walls with the texture, can I mix the primer with the texture and "kill two birds with one stone". I have done nothing to the walls other than clean and lightly sand them and I have filled the seams in the wall board. In other walls if I do both primer and texture together, is my next step to paint. THe mud on the seams is bonding well with the wall. But I know I still need to prime and I want texture. Second if I just trowel the compount on do I just paint or should I prime the compound first? :oops:
Trudi

It's been my experience that the compound soaks up paint, so priming first is a good idea.
Yanita

Hi,

I am the type if I am going to do something I want it to stick the first time....LOL, every time I try to kill 2 birds with one stone...I miss!

I primed the walls with a bonding primer, after cleaning them, then applied the compound without primer, it dilutes the compound to much for the method that I use. I also do not add the paint to the compound either.

If you are choosing to roll the compound on I suppose you could add the primer to the compound...???

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!