Kitchen cabinet painting

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markow05

I'm sorry this is redundant but I can't find the thread regarding the fake peeling kitchen cabinet painting project.

I've spent all afternoon trying to find it but haven't had much luck.

My kitchen cabinets are fake and some are peeling that "wood" look. I'd love to replace them all and re-do my kitchen completely but the budget just doesn't call for it at this moment in time. :cry:

So if anyone has any suggestions and/or products that they can suggest I'm all ears. I'd love to get some help with this.

Since replacing the flooring with stone tile it has a mediterraining feel/vibe so I'm going to go with that and now I need my cabinets to be white I think. :roll:
peachlizzard

Markow05- I have started to collect supplies for doing my cabinets. I too have the fake wood that is pealing, especially at the bottom where we mop. I have 1/4" thick oak plywood with one good side and also waynescoating. We plan to put the oak plywood directly over the top of the paneling on the cabinets, after staining it to match, then use the waynescoating on the island. I have done this in the bathroom and it looks WONDERFUL! We also will do the bottoms of the top cabinets with the plywood. My plan is also to take a few of my 20 cabinet door frames and put punched tin in the middle. Good luck and I hope this helps some!
mokehillannie

Rhonda

I love the idea of the punched tin inserts on some fo the cabinets. I'd been thinking on the same lines. What are you thinking about using for the punched tin?

I was kind of thinking about using flashing material and putting the punched design on it then using something to antique it. Something like a stain wash over it. I also thought about using copper, but it has gotten so expensive.

I'm no where near that stage of our remodel, so I've got lots of time to think about it.

Sorry, Markow05, for the hijack of the threat.
Yanita

Hi,

You can lightly sand them, fill any imperfections with a wood filler. prime and paint.

A little paint can totally transform the appearance of cabinets for little money.

In our other home we refaced the cabinet doors and the drawer fronts. I used 1/4 inch bead board cut to the size of the cabinet doors less a 1/2 inch. Then trimmed with a pretty trim molding, added new hardware and was very happy!

I want to say that one sheet of bead board (4X8) was less than 20.00. Added new hardware and was very happy with the results.

Please keep us posted on what you do. If possible please post before and after pics.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
peachlizzard

Mokehillanne-
I plan to use just plain tin sheets. We are farmer/ranchers. My husband has tons of tools and I plan to stencil them with wheat design and maybe our brand and punch it myself. I hope it works out well. I will be working on it this winter in the cold cold shop, so wish me luck. If it turns out I will post pics. I am excitied also.
mokehillannie

Rhonda, that sounds great. I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics.

I'm going for a southwest look. It may be a couple of years before I get to that point.
markow05

Yanita - Should I 'peel' off the wood colored paper that's already peeling off and then sand or should I just leave the paper on the cabinets and then sand even though they're peeling?

Also, I love your idea & Rhonda's about the tins & the beadboard but now that we've put the new flooring down we've decided to go with a tuscan feel to it so I'm not sure if the tin would look right but the beadboard might work for us.

My cabinets have the raised/engraved designed that you see most cabinets have. Not sure if that's going to pose a problem with them or not if I plan to do the beadboard. :?
peachlizzard

Markow5......you don't have to do the bead board. We are only doing that on the island in the kitchen. The rest of the cabinets will be with the 1/4" oak plywood stained on the good side. We plan to place it directly over the cardboard sides of the cabinets. We found a stain that matches great!
Yanita

Seems we now have 2 different conversations happening here..would like to remind folks to please start another thread when your questions are different than the original poster.

Markow05,

As I said in one of my other post, sand them with a fine grit sand paper. Anything that is loose will come of when sanding.

Yanita
markow05

Thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas!! Yanita thank you for 'walking' me through that. I had a difficult time understanding if I should peel the paper or not. 'duh

My husband and I talked about it last night while preparing dinner and we've decided to go with what Yanita said...we'll go ahead and paint the cabinets. I do have some cabinets that have a glass insert with a decorative panel so we'll take those out and replace them with frosted glass inserts.

Looks like we'll be doing this fairly shortly so I'll post pictures of the before and after stages. :wink:

Thanks again for all your help!
Yanita

Looking forward to your pics. I will now lock this topic.

Yanita