Nordyne Model # E2EB-015HA

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mike Stehr

Howdy,

I have a Nordyne model # E2EB-015A furnace with the 5 ton blower in a moblile home.

This little furnace has been really reliable for the last 6 years or better. The guy I bought the trailer from, had bought and had the furnace installed a year prior to me moving in.

I've always periodically cleaned the furnace every fall for dust, and replaced filters every couple months.

Last night after work, (swing shift) I returned home I smelled what seemed like a hot element in the place. Like a toaster element, or dryer.
Couldn't source the smell, so I just forgot about it and fired up the furnace.
I also noticed that the temp was 65-70 degrees in the place, and the thermostat was only set for 55-60 degrees......?!?

So the place gets warmed up enough to turn the thermostat back down.
My bedroom and PC lurk area is nearby the furnace.

With the furnace thermostat turned down, and the furnace turned off with power still to the unit, I was hearing a switching noise.
I then inspected around the furnace, to source that switching noise.

This is when I notice the furnace unit is rather hot.
Right then it switched, and the element came on.

This is the problem, the element is switching on and off intermittently. Even when the thermostat is turned down below the actual room temp.

The blower still works fine, and I can still heat the place when I turn on the furnace, but I can't have a heater element popping on and off when I'm not around.

I can still heat the place when I'm here, and then kill the breaker switches when I leave. But I won't be able to heat the place when I'm at work.
That isn't really a big deal, it is starting to warm up around this area.
But I have a couple guinea pigs and don't want my girls to freeze when I'm at work. :(

Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned. But I need to address the problem before next winter anyway, so no better time than the present.

Why would the heater element come on and off in a intermittent manner like that?

I'm armed with digital multimeters, a VOM, and whatever else it takes to troubleshoot this nordyne furnace.

I can't afford the cash for a new furnace, so I've got to figure it out.

Replies are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sorry 'bout the long post.....
Mike Stehr.
Robert

Hi Mike,

Most likely a faulty Sequencer. Could be t-stat or element related also, but most likely just a bad sequencer.

You can remove door and panel cover if needed to access the sequencer.

When it's doing this, test across the bottom brass terminals for 24-28vac.

H1/H2 and H3/H4 . Place one lead on each side at same time.

You will most likely read 0vac at both sets.

If so and the element is energized, it's most likely a bad sequencer.

You can disconnect power wires/harness to blower motor, remove screws from side flanges and remove the blower housing.

Then you can look down onto the elements and ensure none are broken and touching metal sides anywhere.

If no power to the H1/H2 and H3/H4 and all elements intact, replace the sequencer.

It can be seen and ordered from here:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html

Scroll down right side, click on pic for enlarged view.

Sequencer # 621679 @ $35 + $6 shipping.

Add to cart and order through PayPal or call 1-877-263-7860 and charge to Visa or Mastercard.

Thanks for inquiring and allowing us to assist you.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Mike Stehr

Amazing how fast 6 months can go by......

Now it's furnace season again!

Although 6 months late, thank you much for the reply, Robert.

Last weekend, I pulled the blower off and inspected the elements.
The elements are fine from a visual point of view...no breaks.

The blower case/motor and squirrel cage was rather dirty. I took a toothbrush and had to clean each blade on the cage for dirt and dust. I pulled the motor and blew and vacuumed it out.

The blew and wiped out all the dirt from the blower case.

If I knew it was that easy to pull the blower assembly, I would have cleaned it more often....
Vacuumed out the rest of the furnace and re-assembled, and tossed in a new filter.

That made the blower cruise better....

I've yet to check voltages on the sequencer switch terminals, I figure I'll just buy one and replace the old one.

I'll most likely order one and pay PayPal in the next couple of days.
I'd better hurry up, it's still warm enough to only run the heater at night, but it won't be in a couple weeks.

I may order a motor run capacitor for the blower motor as well.
I dunno how many off/on cycles those capacitors can stand, but the motor is starting to have quite a womp when it kicks on and off. I (think) that cap is supposed to dampen that.....

Thanks again,

Mike Stehr.
Robert

Hi Mike,

Yep, this summer flew by. Here's our articles page, bookmark it for future reference when needed:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?