BUFFALO BOX

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JSW

OUR MOBILE HOME HAS A BUFFALOBOX. Where the water comes into the mobile home.
now it has a lighting rod in it to keep it warm. we were told that we do not need heat tape because of the rod. we live in michigan so it gets cold here. is this true?
Greg

Hi & welcome. I Just did a google on it and it appears to be an in ground curb box type shut off. You need to have any exposed water lines heat taped & wrapped with insulation. Also make sure the skirting is in good shape. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JSW

well. where the water main is goes underneath our driveway. into this tube sticking out of the ground. then it has a fitting on it to feed water to the mobile home.
it hsa this rod that goes into the pipe and it is plugged in underneath the mobile home. there is about 3 foot of water line that is not got heat tape on it. the rest is in the belly of the home.
the park told me I did not need heat tape on that 3 foot, because of this " lighting rod"
JSW

problem is the rod is pluged into the outlet where the heat tape would be? so where do you plug in the heat tape?
steve

Most outlets have 2 spaces to plug things in....if you are able.....change the single outlet plug to a double
Greg

I am confused as the the purpose of the rod. If the underground section is below the frostline it should not need protection. the only area of concern should be where it comes out of the ground into the belly of your home.
Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."