question about paneling.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

codemonkey73

Is it okay to put new paneling over old paneling, or should I pull the old off before I put the new on?
JD
Site Admin

This can be done, but I would notch trowel liquid nail over the entire surface to eliminate any moisture problems.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
codemonkey73

Okay, cool. Thanks!
Yanita

Hi,

Not disagreeing with JD, but, I think if I was going to the expense and hassles of doing this I would remove the old if for no other reason to check out existing wiring, and to check on exterior stud condition and add replace insulation if needed. BTDT,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
steve

I agree with Yanita...pull the old paneling so you can check out the insulation, wiring and any water damage. You also will not run into trouble at doors and windows because of the added 1/4"
Dean2

I agree with Yanita and Steve,,and,,imagine if Ya ever need access to within the wall and it is all glued together,,can be done as JD said but,,,,.

Dean
Yanita

Hi,

I think this one has been sufficiently answered, am going to lock it now.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

I do need to add that I also agree with Yanita, Dean and Steve, but that wasn't the question as I saw it. For many of us, these repairs are simple and just 'X' amount of work. But for some, the deeper the repair goes the further out of reach it becomes.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.