carpet color idea

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

perfecto

my question is has anyone had there old carpet re-dyed?
LisaNCarolina

Very interesing idea. I have thought of spray painting an old rug (using stencil patterns), then using it outside on the patio. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Is there a certain custom color you're thinking about?
Yanita

Hi,

I have never done this but seen a couple that have been done. Personally I was not impressed but this is not to say they did it the right way.

If this carpet is original to the home please keep in mind they use the cheapest carpet available, including the padding underneath. You mind find it comparable in cost to simply replace what you have.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
perfecto

i was thinking something in a brown maybe with a dark red border, its not the original carpet but it does look cheap
LisaNCarolina

Brown may not be as big a challenge as red. Red may be a bit harder to deal with in dying. What color is your carpet now? And are you opposed to replacing verses dying?
perfecto

its a light mauve, ugggggly
perfecto

no i, not opposed to replacing or looking for an area rug to place over the old, this may be a lesser expensive alternative.
perfecto

i was thinking about floors i was coming up with some outrageous ideas i was thinking of something i could use as a floor covering that was kind of funky amd looked great i went to the wallpaper store looking for something to use for for putting on my cabinets because i was going with a warm tropical theme so after looking at the sample grass cloth wallpaper for a few days thats when it hit me so i put 5 coats of poly on it and let it cure for a couple days then i glued it to the linoleum sheet floor with a spray glue in a high traffic area in the kitchen let me tell u it looks awesome i scratched it stomped on it dropped dishes on it
washed it with a floor cleaner scrubbed and it looks as if it was just laid after i priced double rolls for the kitchen floor (120 sq ft)would cost me well under $100 i think its a good price for neat floor and using renewable resources what do you folks think ? please comment .
Arlo

You didn't calculate the cost of five coats of poly on the covering. I bet it looks pretty cool but let us know how it holds up. If it doesn't work you probably will not need to remove it to cover it with floating floor such as laminate. And you can cover it with carpet of course. Carpet here in VA is very cheap at the remnant sales. I paid 1.47 a square yard recently for apple-juice-stain beige. Since you like the natural look (me too) maybe you should look at bamboo flooring. Lumber Liquidators has it for 2.99 square foot. Not sure where you live but I would not pay to ship it. Also IKEA had a Columbus Day sale with laminate for 25 cents per square foot! I think it's 69 cents on any other day. It's a road trip for me and they don't ship some items.
perfecto

wow 25 cents is a unheard of price but ikea is known for low prices ill check them out again i live in Sarasota the closest store is in Orlando about a 3 hr drive. yeah i forgot the polly before i do this i want to try varnish it may be harder. like i said i was really surprised at how nice it looks and its green so i would be using something quickly replenished yes i really like the natural/Asian look its something thats fairly inexpensive too. i was going to get new cabinets at ikea but i wanted to try cabinet rescue they came out nice. another option for the floor is i found some laminate for $10 a box covering 26 sq ft per box, i need to go look at it, its finish is German tidewater all they could tell me is the grain is kind of green i wish there was a pic on the internet but i did a Google search i was surprised my search came up empty, i could do the kitchen AND living room for $140 it would go nice im repainting the house in greens oranges yellows and browns, my last option is to remove everything down to the original linoleum which is retro green but am afraid of asbestos cause its 40 yeaes old, im going thropugh thids house and cleaning everythin up as cheap as possible but with some taste ill be getting a digital canmera soon so i can post some before and af6ter pics ,
be safe
ed
solveg

I've been toying with the idea of tea staining my beige carpet with a steam cleaner. I did a small test area, but I'm waiting to see if it will hold.
Solveg, near Wichita KS, 1985 Fleetwood "Oak Knoll" Single wide, 14x80. No renovation experience.
perfecto

hmmmm...steam cleaner...tea and beige i wonder what youll get, ours is light pink i understand yu can only go lighter...let me know how it works out...may just break down and buy something new, been looking on craigs list for laminate stuff and saw a nice purple and green that would go together nice for 200 in the kitchen