Cleaning A-Coil- AC line concerns

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

msufroggy

Hello to all again.

I need to clean the A-Coils in my furnace for the air conditioner. They are packed with dust, unfortunately, and I am sure that's why I wasn't getting cold air through my vents. :(

Anyways, I have a metal cover to seal off the a-coil area, and it has a small window on that cover to let the AC lines into that area.
My problem is that I cannot fully remove that cover without first taking apart the AC lines.
Are there any considerations/concerns with taking apart the 2 ac lines so I can fully remove the cover? I don't want anything leaking out (freon, etc). I may even have to dissassemble the gas line, too.

I was also thinking of just using my dad's sheet metal snips and cutting the cover at the "window" so I can slide it out without taking the AC lines apart.

Thanks!
Robert

Hi,

Oh no, you definately don't want to take the lines apart or open them, that would release all the refrigerant and be a costly fine if caught.

If you must remove the cover, cut the cover to slide out and when replaced, seal cut with foil back tape and mastic duct sealant.

IF the A-Coil is very dirty, may need to call a hvac tech out to recover refrigerant and remove a-coil for thorough cleaning.

Click on HVAC in top toolbar, then click articles and see "cleaning your a/c" and "cleaning your furnace blower ".

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?