Painting the ceiling

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Cleo

Hi. My single wide has a ceiling that looks like acoustic tile. Can this be painted? Do I have to prime first? Can I use a latex paint or do I have to use an oil-based paint? Thanks.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Cleo,

I there is any yellowing or dark stains, especially if you have the plastic strips 16" o.c., you will to prime to keep the yellowing and stains from bleeding through. If the stains and plastics strips are dark, it may take 2-3 coats of primer. If you use primer at all, you will want to prime the entire ceiling to get a consistent even coverage.

The best paint for ceilings is called ceiling white. It is made especially for ceilings. It comes white but can be tinted if you like. It is available at all home stores and paint stores.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

Everyone has there specific favorites in paints and primers...but I believe the Kilz brand of primer has one for ceilings that is a very light shade of pink....this allows you to be able to see where you have already been.... much easier.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Cleo

There is one spot over the back door that you can tell was a water leak (from the roof probably). My mobile is in Phoenix and it's a rather old (1979). I'm slowing going to start fixing it up and I thought I'd start with the ceiling. I'm guessing the stain should at least be primed out. There are any vertical stripes, which is odd. I'm not sure what is holding it up.
Yanita

Hi,

You probably have sheetrock with a texture sprayed over it???

Yanita
Cleo

I'll try uploading a picture of the kitchen which shows a bit of the ceiling. I'm not sure what it is.
Cleo

Oops, that didn't work. Not sure how to upload a pic.
Yanita

Hi Cleo,

Go to the "website questions" forum...lots of post there on how to upload pics.

Yanita
Cleo

I've read the upload instructions so I'll try this again.

Hope that worked.