Residing Mobile

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bethk

We need to reside our mobile, sooner than we thought. I'm going to get some bids but would like to ask you guys what I should be looking out for, and what we should expect. We have a double wide 24 x 48 (1100 sq ft). Does anyone have a guestimate on what kind of money we're looking at? 10k? 20k? We live in Oregon.

Thanks much.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Beth,

Prices can vary quite a bit due to quality of the contractor you choose, but in my area you would get bids around $7500 and up for standard vinyl siding with all the accessory parts from the mainstream contractors. This would be for regular siding like Certainteed, Alcoa Mastic, Alside, Variform etc.

For a little more, you could get a much higher quality with the newer insulated siding. This is the siding where the insulation backing is fused to the back of the siding itself. This is great stuff! It is much stronger and more rigid. It does not warp or get wavy like the regular siding can. When you lean on it, it feels solid and not like hollow vinyl. Crane is an excellent product. Norandex makes a similar product.

Crane Siding

Norandex Siding

Certainteed Siding

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Bethk

Whew!! Doesn't sound as bad as I imagined. Thanks very much for the info. I think I would go one up like you suggest and get the one with the insulation. We want to do this right. We're replacing all the windows and just did the front door. I'm looking forward to my heating bill to go down. Very expensive!
JD
Site Admin

The price I guesstimated at would be for the siding. You may need to fix some of your wood siding before covering it. Any places with water damage, bulges should be replaced with sheathing. Of course any trim and "gingerbread" type stuff would come off also.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Beth, one question, and it make a big difference in price. Are you doing the work or contracting it out? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

The home we have now came with the really nice siding, the one with the built in insulation. It is as JD described! The only thing I don't like is the previous owner choose a light blue! What were they thinking.

Regardless if you do the work yourself or contract it out, as with all things, if you can afford the upgrade then do so. It will show on your heat bill...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Bethk

We would definitely contract it out. Doing this would be way beyond us.
Greg

I would make a few phone call to a few quality contractors in you area and get a few quotes. Estimates should be free, if they try to charge put a big black X over their name. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bethk

Will do. Thanks Greg.
butch2

can our mobile homes support the extra weight of the insulated siding ?

I'm probably 5-7 years away from wanting to get new windows /siding job done

my biggest worry is the contractor coming across unforseen problems like mold/dry rot

p.s --good luck with your siding job beth -please post some before and after pics if you could