FEMA House

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

iafirebuff

Well we got a FEMA house next door now. It is interesting watching them set them up. We have a place in town (old shut down dog track) that for the past month and a half has been a staging area for FEMA homes. It is neat seeing the transport trucks lined up every day bringing houses and hauling them away. THe first few hundred had mold in the water heater areas and had to be sent back.

Anyway, our park has been getting about 4 or 5 FEMA homes a day for the past few days. THe set up crews are like a factory - one crew does the leveling/blocking, one crew does the tie downs, one crew builds wood steps and so on. I looked under one - it is a Holly Park and it has the normal belly fabric, but then it has a wire like caging over it. I could stick my pinky between the wires but otherwise it is pretty small. Looks like chicken wire only smaller. I would hate to have to work on things under the house :)

With talking with one of the workers, he said they have 800 houses to set up and they add about 50-75 per day! He was from Georgia and hopes to be home by December. I have seen crews from GA, SC, MS, etc. I hope they know how to set up homes for winter climates :)

As a footnote - I live in Iowa and am in an area hard hit by flooding. So there are over 800 FEMA houses coming in. The local paper said the gov pays them $7000 to transport these houses into the area.

Sorry for the babbling :)
Harry

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Looks like our taxes are hard at work.

That wire is a good feature. It helps keep the critters out.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
iafirebuff

Some more info:

THey did not put a vapor barrier down, and all of the lots that the FEMA houses are on is getting all new upgraded electrical service - new pedistals, new lines run from the tranformer, etc. THey also have very nice built on site steps - treated wood, very nice looking on the front AND back doors.

Now I am not bashing the people that are going to be living in the FEMA houses, I really feel for them, but our gov is sparring no expense on this. THe park makes out good - guarenteed rent (overpriced anyway), NEW electrical service that the feds pay - not the park.

It has been very interesting watching the set up process. Yesterday they skirted and did the steps - I got to watch the step crew - an older man and woman from KY. She cut the wood and he put it all together - in less than 2 hours. They did a great job and it looks real nice!