Putting up gutters and have a question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I'm getting ready to install gutters this weekend, I'm going to slip them under the existing "gutters" (I use that loosly :) I have vertical metal siding and my question is, from the outside of the home how do I find the wall stud's.? I would like to screw the new gutters to each wall stud....Thanks
RumCreeker

I have the same setup as you. When I put up gutters I found that you don't have to find studs because of the top cap of 2x4s on the walls. Just slip gutters under your J channel and you should be able to anchor your gutter braces into wood.
Greg

Just remember to keep the screw spacing close (I used 2') you want all the support you can get for the winter. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Installed gutters on one side, went pretty well, Hope to get the other side up on the next visit up. Thank's for the advice....
Jeff
steve

I am not so sure that gutters are a good thing. Without an overhang Im afraid of ice daming. What do you think?

I guess I don't see the connection between having an overhang and ice daming. Overhang or not, if you have a shingled roof and gutters theres always a chance ice will back up and lift the shingles causing water intrusion into the home (all the more reason to use a layer of fire & ice under the first row) In my case, I have the original metal roof and I don't see how ice daming gould be an issue and, I went from the chessy little "j" chanel gutters that constantly over flowed causing water to run down the side of the house onto the cement slab and seeped under the skirting puddling under the home causing a "musty smell but, I'm no roofing expert so maybee a roofer will jump in an shed some light on the subject.
Greg

I think that gutters can be a double edge sword. The key is going to be keeping the roof clear of snow. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."