anyone ever added double wide onto stick built home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mom24girls

Hi, new member here. Has anyone ever put a double wide mobile home onto a stick built home? I know you may wonder why anyone would want to do this, but we would like more room. The mobile home is being given to us by sister-in-law and husband who have just built a house and they just want it gone or they are going to shove it down through the woods. All we have to do is pay to have it moved. It is about 5 miles from our home, out in the country, so we can pretty much do what we want this far outside city limits (like 10 miles). Our home is on 30+ acres so we could put this mobile home anywhere we wanted to. It is 28X60 and 20 to 25 years old. It needs a little work but is basically in good shape. Our house is a Jim Walter home that we bought and moved here 19 years ago. Although we have enlarged it somewhat by adding on the back and enclosing the porch, we still have only 1200 square feet. All 4 girls have their own bedroom so that is not the big problem, it is just crowded, if you have ever been in an older Jim Wlater home, the layout stinks. But we have raised our girls who are 22, 18, 15 and 10 in this house so far like it is, only one bathroom, laundry room in outside storage building. My husband says they are almost grown now and will be leaving, so is it worth it? We thought one of the kids might want to live in it some day, hey it would be rent free, but I don't know. I can't decide what to do and they want it moved probably in the next month. How would I even attempt this? The thought was to put the back of the mobile home where there is sliding glass doors to connect to front of our house where we could take out double window and create opening. Where it would connect would be a gabled roof. Is this doable or not and what about the electric connection? Sorry so long but I need to figure this out.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Your right, I have never heard of anyone wanting to do this, but not saying that it has not been done before.

My first thought is...all MH's move with the weather conditions. These homes are designed to flex, attaching them to a fixed structure is not recommended. In other words we recommend that you don't even attach a porch or deck to these homes.

As for codes, at no time do we recommend or advise that anyone violate them, although your own creative thoughts and being the homeowner allows you to do as you want.

There are several things to consider with this type of set up...first what type of foundation would the mh sit on, then as you said there is electric, plumbing, heat, a/c, there is alot to consider here even though the home is free.

I can not answer your questions as to whether this is doable. We offer very limited advice on electrical.

Food for thought...at this time you may get away with not following codes, but in 10 years what is the likely hood of development in your area. IF you should want to sell your home in the future without the proper permits in place you could face serious fines or have other troubles trying to sell your home.

Just my thoughts, I am sure many others will contribute their thoughts and opinions as well.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
jinx

Back in the 60's an Uncle of mine had a travel trailer and started building a home. He built the outside frame of the house and built a breezeway between the house and trailer. I think it was only about a 6 ft breezeway. After he finished the house he just took down the breezeway and moved the trailer. It could have stayed if he wanted. It was just like a hallway between the two structures.
mom24girls

Well, the electric company says we can't connect the double wide to the existing meter pole on the house. It has to have its own electrical supply. They said someone tried to do this a few weeks ago and they would not let them do it either. So now I don't know which way we will go. I just didn't want to have two electric bills, which I guess it might all be the same anyway, I don't know. This addition would be living room, 2 bathrooms, laundry room and three bedrooms and computer room. There would be no kitchen as it is an open floor plan and we would convert it to one large living room. It is all electric. Only water we would use would be bath and utility, so the bill for water heating should not be much. The central heating cooling unit is another story. As we don't get that cold here our main concern is cooling. Maybe a window unit in the big room would cut down on cost instead of using central all the time, but it would be there is we need it. The house would be our kitchen, dining room, pantry, bathroom, a playroom, and two bedrooms that my oldest 2 children say they are staying in. I could see connecting with a breezeway or sunroom, and if I ever did need to move it, I could.
Belinda
JD
Site Admin

I would think that with a breezeway and separate power pole that you would be able to get a permit to use the mobile home. In our area, they require 36" between structures. The 36" would be measured from the closest edges of anything on either structure, like overhang, window ac, trim.

I agree with Yanita. You definitely want to get a permit. At the time of a property sale, a home inspector can miss a lot of things, but an extra an extra home attached to the house would be hard to miss.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
steve

I would set up the unit as is with its own electric connection and connect it with a breezeway or sunroom. You would have to enlarge your drainfield and probably add a septic tank to handle to added rooms (that for sure will be inspected). Central AC is way more effecient than a room AC ...just turn down the thermostat. Worst case...get it to your place, fix it up and sell it for money to add an addition to you existing house.
Greg

I have always said that with enough planning and money anything is possible. You would need to make the decision if it is worth it or not. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mom24girls

Thank you all for your help. I am sure it would be worth it to do it for the space. I am concerned about the way it would look. You wouldn't even be able to see my house from the front of the mh. As it is vinyl siding and in good shape we would leave it, but our house has the old original masonite siding that was put on there when built over 30 years ago, so we would be residing the house with something else, not sure what yet. If anyone has any more ideas please let me know.
Thanks, Belinda
Brenda (OH)

Belinda,

why not consider leaving a mini kitchen in the double wide, maybe just a sink base with sink, larger dorm room size fridge that might fit under the countertop of the base, and just remove the wall cabinets? you could leave the outlets as they are.

it would function as a minibar, nachos and pop and chips available without leaving that side of the house.

i am thinking this would also let you utilize the double wide as a longer term semi separate living area if an older relative would need to live with you, or if a family member needs temporary housing. you can always add an additional large dorm fridge.

mayber stick a post high schooler family member in there, get them used to paying you rent and giving you the utility bill and check to mail so you know it is getting done. as a step in the process of them going out on their own. it could teach them budgeting and life skills without dinging their credit. especially if you don't remind them to pay and then you hit them with late fees. lol

Brenda (OH)
mom24girls

Brenda,

I think you read my mind, lol. I have actually considered leaving the kitchen in the double wide or at least keep the option open when we replumb it, just cap off the connections in the kitchen in case I ever wanted to put one back in. The kithen is in a corner with a wet bar/ eating area center island. My kids have begged me to leave this island as they love to watch tv when we go to sister-in-laws house while sitting at that bar. That would look really weird to me. Sis-in-law says the bar is a catch all, therefore did not put one in her new home. I actually like the kitchen in the double wide because it is so open, and in my house the kitchen is a galley kitchen about 8ft by 11ft and it is really hard for 2 people to work in there together. We just remodeled it with new cabinets a few years ago. It could just be everything feels smaller because of my 8 ft ceilings, where the double wide has vaulted ceilings. Yall have really gave me some good ideas to go on. Thanks a bunch.
Belinda
Yanita

Hi Ladies,

We need to keep this thread on topic about what it will require to attach or set up next to existing home. All decorating thoughts, ideas need to be posted in the Decorating/Landscaping forum.

Thanks,

Yanita
Dean2

If the chip($s)is available I would set it up as a separate structure and put the 2 older kids in it,They are considered adults at over 18 and it would be a good experience for them.You n hubby could be "semi-landlords" and take care of maintenance and such while the kids pay Their own bills. Cycle a younger kid out of the main house into the other as works for You All.

Later when the Kids have gone to make Their way You could find a good Renter and recoup some of the investments,taxes,insurances,maintenance,etc.
Yanita

Hi folks,

Once again I ask that this stay on topic, this is the "repair forum".

Please feel free to move "other" discussion about this to another appropiate forum.

Yanita
petehome

...all MH's move with the weather conditions. These homes are designed to flex, attaching them to a fixed structure is not recommended. In other words we recommend that you don't even attach a porch or deck to these homes.

Manufactured homes move with the weather conditions? Does this mean that when there is a breeze it moves a little and when there is a gust of wind, it moves a little more? One can understand that a tornado is a lot of wind and a manufactured home (and a modular home and a stick-built home, for that matter) really move with the wind. More like move to the next county! I have been in the manufactured home/modular home industry for 25 years, from the manufacturing side to the enforcement side and all points in between, and not once have I ever heard that manufactured homes are designed to "flex".

If manufactured homes are not designed to be attached to a fixed (permanent), how do manufacturers that design their homes to be installed on a "fixed" (permanent) basement get away with it? The answer is really simple: because they are allowed to by the Federal Standards. Some fall into the realm of standard code-complying construction, while others use the Alternative Construction methods allowed by HUD. The basement construction falls into the jurisdiction of the local Authority.

As a homeowner, you are allowed to do whatever you want to your home. The trick is doing things correctly, so when it comes time to sell your home, it can be sold as a safe and liveable home to the new homeowner.

If you want to install a porch, a deck or an addition, you certainly can, but I would advise you to contact the manufacturer to see if he has any suggestions to help you protect your home from damage that might be caused by your new construction. I would also advise you to construct the accessory structure in accordance with the local or State building code in your area. Most States require this anyway. Checking into a building permit is a must. You might not need it, but if you build and don't have the required permit, you could be forced to tear it down.

As far as adding a manufactured home to a stick-built or modular home, your power company will win this battle and the war. Their requirements are set in stone for the safety of the occupants of the homes. Besides, by the time you got all the necessary engineering and structural reinforcements done, you'd probably wish you had just used the free home as a secondary living quarters, much like a cabin.

I am new to this web-site and have already found it to be a great source of information, both good and bad. I plan on visiting more often. I can learn from this forum and we always need to learn something new every day, right?
JD
Site Admin

I am not sure that "designed to flex" was the intended terminology but the use of wall paneling, ceiling panels with "splines", expansion seams in galvanized roofs, skirting with wide top tracks as well as many other designed features were used to control damage from expansion and contraction or "breathing". The fact that releveling mobile/manufactured homes on piers is considered regular maintenance while leveling a stick built home on a concrete foundation is considered a drastic and rare repair, points to the problem that joining the two can create.

As Greg implied, anything is possible. But I don't ever remember a post asking how to do a major repair at any cost, money is no object. Belinda is asking for ideas pro and con as well as "how to's" that would help her with this idea of joining a mobile home to a stick built house. Replies to her post should address this issue.

Since I have now also veered off subject, it is time to lock this topic. Please start new posts in the appropriate forum, be it Repair, Decorating or Off Topic, etc.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.