Replacing the base underneath a kitchen sink

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CPA

After years of suffering through plumbing leaks, the particle board flooring could absorb no more water without sagging completely to the floor. So I decided it was time to just cut it out and replace it.

Of course, the problem is that you have plumbing extending through the base that continues underneath the home and you have to work around that.

I solved that dilemma by making the base in three sections and using some scrap deck materials (some 4 x 4's and deck boards) along with a piece of OSB to shim it to the right height and screwing the components into one contiguous unit around the plumbing.

I cut out the old cabinet base with a sawzall, leaving a couple of inches around the perimeter as my outside edge to rest the new plywood floor on. Then I screwed a 5/4 deck board on top of the 4 x 4's to give them more height then added a piece of OSB to bring it up flush with the new plywood surface.

These 4 x 4 units not only allowed the floor to be screwed together as one contiguous unit, but they also allowed for additional support underneath the floor.

After putting down the new plywood floor I decided to use up some extra tile I had, so I tiled it and grouted it.

Pictures are included:
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
CPA

Sorry, forgot that I didn't attach the pictures
Brenda (OH)

Wow that repair turned out great. I hope the tiles hold up, because it is a really well finished repair job, I have done similar stuff for older homes, but stopped at the wood stage, and just painted it lol

Brenda (OH)
CPA

Thanks!

It's funny, the next day the left sink started leaking from the drain basket. I must have somehow loosened it while I was putzing around under there and I ended up with a little water under the sink again, but this time it fell on the tiles and all I had to do was wipe it up.

I can't see why it wouldn't hold up, but if it doesn't, I have found very little that can't be repaired or replaced.

That's the beauty of personal home maintenance. If you don't like it or if it doesn't perform like you want it to, you just pull it out and do something else. You learn by trying!

Jeff
browningthree

Awesome job! I think I may get hubby to do that with our left over tiles...lol! :lol: We put in new cabinets but still had leaking problems...husband swears it isn't his fault! We have fixed the leaks but the cabinet bottom has had it. Thanks for your great idea!
Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
oldfart

CPA congrats on the repair of the sink-base and a tip-o-the-hat for the excellent photo of the ram (your avatar) as well! Wagh! Looks to be a full-curl horn on that beauty!! I'm salivating thinking of tenderloins grilled over a hot flame!! Now, back to the topic. The bane of mobile homes.... especially older mobile homes... is water. For economic reasons, I'm sure, the builders seem to have used water-soluable materials at every oppertunity. Perhaps it is because they assumed these home were disposable and only short-term living quarters. We have proved them wrong..eh! My s.w. ca. 1970 is still doin' right-smart well though I have had my trials. The flooring is composted horse manure with water soluable glue. If you even sweat profusely..don't lay down on the floor! NEVER set a cold can of refreshment on the floor! In about an hour it'll be laying under the home! Pets had better be house-trained!! If a mouse "tinkles" in the livingroom yer gonn'a have a major collapse about 2 days later!! The paneling peels and falls off the walls as soon as the humidity goes above 60%! Mobile home windows leak before they even leave the factory. Wall studs...(haw!haw!haw!)..it's hard to even type that without laughing...buckle, twist, shrink and most are not placed anywhere near 16in. on center. And most of the pre-1980 studs are 2X2's for the exterior walls. Interior walls are 1x2's. Rafters are 2x2's and floor joists are 2x6's if yer lucky. Insulation? What insulation? And yet..we rebuild them! Better, stronger and more energy efficient. It's a "mobile-home thing." Keep a wary eyeball out for leaks no matter how trivial. A drop here..a drip there. Constant vigilance my friend! Audie..the Oldfart...
CPA

Thanks, he ranked #13 in the world with a bow. I was trying to film myself while I was hunting for it. I got most of the hunt on video but I somehow managed to turn the camcorder off the instant before I shot and then turn it back on as he was running away with the arrow in him.

For the life of me I can't figure our how I hit that button twice.
oldfart

Aye my friend I have no problem understanding "how I managed to turn the camera off at such an inoppertune time?" HAW!HAW!HAW! Most likely I would have been near epileptic at such a moment! Any chance I might read the whole story in F&S or O.L. or Traditional Bowhunter Mag. in some future report? Eh? #13 in the world! Huzzah and congrats! Audie...the Oldfart..lost in dreams of succulent tenderloins searing over mesqite..a side of wild morel musheroons and sweet Vidalia onions....mmmm...tender asparagus tips drowned in butter...thick crusty French Bread to daub at the juices....a green salad with croutons and...and....and....thick chunky Blue Cheese Dressing....I'm losing it CPA.....I'm losing it! A frosty cold mug full'a St. PauliGirl Dark on the side....num!num!num!...and...I'm out'a here.............