Coils on A unit have ice on them

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Michelle

I turned my A/C on yesterday for the first time, when I came home I noticed it was making a high pitched noise. I took the cover off the indoor unit and saw ice over the coils and some of the filter. I turned the thermostat off and the fan on to defrost it. Then I turned the thermostat on to 80 instead of 70 (thinking it was just being overworked since it was the first day) but it started to freeze over again. I'm not quite sure what my next step should be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Michelle

BTW, it's a Nordyne-Intertherm
C1QA-036U-B
Robert

Hi,

Has unit ever been cleaned/serviced ?

A-Coil could be dirty, filter dirty, low refrigerant charge due to leak, blower motor problem are most common.

How quick does it start to refreeze ?

Was entire coil frozen or just part of it ?

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Michelle

We moved in about 2 years ago, we haven't had it serviced-and I have no idea if the previous owener did anything. We checked the filters, they were clean. It starts freezing after about 45 minutes and forms thick ice over the coils. Mostly it is the coils on the bottom.
Robert

Go here:http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Read and look at pics for "cleaning your a/c" and " cleaning your furnace blower motor " .

That will cover all except a low charge.

IF it still freezez after that, time to call a Tech .

However, that is needed every year and will keep down costs of Tech if needed.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?