bathroom remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

well, i finally got in the corner garden tub to check to see is it would work and it is a no go. Guess they built them for short people. So, it has to go.
We want a tub/shower combo but a normal (non-mobile home size) tub and shower.
So, my question is how dfficult/how expensive would it be to add the plumbing for the shower pipe/plumbing into the wall of the bathroom? Also, we would have to seal up/cover up a window to have the water tight fiberglass/wall board. Any thoughts or suggestions on that?
JD
Site Admin

Hi betty_joanne,

If you are replacing the tub, you are probably changing the tub/shower walls. This will allow you to install the shower head and valve plumbing from the front side of the faucet wall. You can cut an opening in the wall to install the plumbing, cover up the opening and then install the tub and walls. You can also create an access door on the back side of the faucet wall to do the plumbing, but then you will have to fix the wall or trim out the access hole.

I would not recommend covering the window. In California, every room is to have a window space that equals 10% of the floor space. I am not sure if that is a HUD or state code, but it is a requirement here. You may want to check code in your area.

If the back wall of the wall kit is flat, then it is easy to cut around a window and trim. But if is a molded wall kit that stands off the wall 1" to 1 1/2" you would need to be more creative. Where you cut this type of panel around the window, you can trim the cut by adding an overhanging window sill on the window. Depending on the decor, you might be able to use a cultured marble back splash which is available at most big home stores. You can fill the opening in the molded wall kit, where you cut out for the window, with wood and then seal everything. Then add the window sill and seal it at the window and below the sill at the wall.

JMO, Hope this helps

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.