cutting a steel door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty_joanne

I saw the instructions on here for CUTTING DOWN A STANDARD SIZE DOOR but have the dumb question of can i only cut down a wood door? It didn't say anything about steel doors and the door in the article looked like wood. I would really like to have a steel door.
JD
Site Admin

Hi betty_joanne,

I don't know of any way to cut down a steel door in size that wouldn't ruin the door. What size door are you needing?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Betty_joanne, You could use an abrasive blade in the circular saw to make the cut, but as JD said it may ruin the door as far as being sealed. If you have an old door laying around you could try it and see what happens, but I don't think I would risk a new door to "experiment" on. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
budbag

Why cut a door down, install a full size door and be done with it. The full size door is 200.00 or so cheaper and it seals better in my opinion.
Greg

In SOME cases a full size door just plain won't fit. But in most cases you can "rearrange" things some to make it fit. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

I have cut down steel doors a few times and it has worked out fine. Some of them are over ten years old and have had no problems. Just cut with a carbide circular saw. If you cut up far enough to take out all of the wood that is in between the steel, peel the steel off the cut piece and use the old wood strip in the bottom and then put one of those bottom seals on that slip over both sides of the door. You will have to most likely have to scoop out some of the foam in between the two steel halves to get the piece of wood in. I just put exterior Elmer's glue on the wood before I slide it in and then I hold the steel halves together with clamps until the glue dries. Then put on the bottom seal.
Hope this helps.
Ron

PS. After writing this I seen that Mark has it in his articals. Check it out here.
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article13.html
Demolition

Remember the steel door is heavier. So you may need to brace the frame a little better. Also be sure to check the piers (concrete blocks) under the door to make sure they aint settled and are snug.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town