Gas boiler

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

RGS

Hi guys and gals,

I have a question about a boiler, it's not for my mobile but I figure Robert or someone else may be able to offer some suggestions. I have a house about 3200 sq ft. The boiler in the house is probably in the range of 40-50+ years old. The former owners which live next door coincidentally said it cost a fortune to heat the house with it so I never even tried to fire it up. Will replacing it with a newer more efficient boiler make that much of a difference or will the old radiators also factor in alot towards the cost to run it?

And if I decide to go this route will oversizing it be just as bad as undersizing it?
Robert

Hi,

That's just not something to answer completely from here without seeing it.

I think a newer one is going to be best, but the overall question of how much and such will need answering after it is inspected, system and home.

Yes, oversizing is just as bad as undersizing. Have an ACCA Manual J Load calc done and get system sized for your needs.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
RGS

Ok but what about the old radiators...they weigh a ton and wouldn't be something easily disposed of. Maybe a scrap yard would pay per the pound and take them but I don't know. I think some of them it would take 2 or 3 people to move these things. Just curious if I did change them with new hydronic baseboards from lowes or something would also save money or not?

Also tommorrow when it's light I'll go down in the crawl space and find out what btu the old one is or does it matter since this one was probably sized when it was put in.
Robert

That would depend on what changes to home have come about since original install.

Call a contractor or two out and get some consults on it.

Someone very familiar with the weather there and those type systems could better advise.

I have limited time with those as not very many outside of commercial and industrial settings here.

Someone who deals with it day in and day out could give better info and that is what is needed here for your best interests.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?