Programmable thermostats

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Yanita

Hi Guys...

Here's my question, it's been asked of me and I wonder myself...

Programmable thermostats, everyone says they save you money..

Well if you turn your heat down at night and back up to your comfort level in the day how would a programmable one save you any more money than just doing it yourself...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
jubangy

Because, instead of you turning the thermostat down whenever you remember, or you forget the programmable thermostat does it everyday according too how you set it.
I myself wonder though, if you turn it down say to 65 from 72 during the day when noones home, then you turn it back up to 72 when you come home is it really saving that much considering the furnace has to do double time to get the house back up to temperature? And in the winter, say for a normally insulated place wouldn't the furnace be using just as much gas maintaining say 65 as it would maintaining 72? I mean if it is 20 degrees out or lower, wouldn't it run just as much to maintain 65 once it got down to that temperature after you turned it down before you left?
Robert

Hi,

It will save money and keep home at a preset temp every day. It avoids differation in times it is turned up or down.

It maintains same temp at same times every day, keeps a constant operational flow.

It will keep home at right temps for different times and not have it running when not needed.

It does it all automaticly and makes it easy on the homeowner.

Just be sure it is battery operated or you have a common wire run to t-stat.

Makes tracking your heating bill easier as well.

Consistancy is the savings.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Manitoba Bill

My Hunter Energy Monitor thermostat has a time of furnace runs for 2 days and you can def. see the diff. in how long the furnace runs.

I have kept monthly records since I moved here 20 years ago so I can compare trends whenever I did upgrades like insulation etc.

I can even see the diff. when it is sunny and the Solar heaters run.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Yanita

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feed back...so Robert or whom ever knows, what info do you need from me to be able to tell me what to buy.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

I would suggest a Honeywell or White Rodgers.

White Rodgers sold at HVAC Supply Houses and would buy whichever at an HVAC if feasible.

Cost more, but last longer and work better.

I really prefer WR, but Honeywell is more easibly attained.

All you need is battery operated for your unit.

Gas, Electric, Heat Pump, 1 stage, 2 stage, etc.....

Get all info on your units that it will control and get t-stat to match.

Same wire color designations also.

IF you go to HVAC supply, you can get a WR, get best no matter brand and they will have the experience to get you what you need.

I tell my cutomers, you spent huge $$$$ and invested in the system, don't give the brains any less attention.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?