Condensation on outside of Air Handler----Is it normal??

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Ok, well i have posted in the past about having problems with my old HVAC Coleman system, and after fighting with bad cooling and high bills we decided to have the whole system replaced with a Carrier Heat Pump system.

ARS did the iinstall and supplied the system. First full month with the new system my light bill. was almost half what it would normally be, so i was very happy with this.

But shortly after we had everything put in, we started to notice condensation on the outside of the air handler. I had ARS come back out and they told me that this is normal, because of the cold air insde and warner air outside, but my old unit never did this.

So, i am wanting to find out from the experts here, is this really something that is considered "normal". I mean, i had to have the stand the air handler is sitting on replaced because the old unit was freezing up and then leaking water and rotted out the old stand, now the stand is getting wet again, and it is just plain plywood and 2x4's. So its just a matter of time before it rots out as well, and then i have to pay huge money to have the whole thing removed and a new stand built.

So any help you can give me on this would be great. Is there something that needs to be done that wasnt, if so tell me what it is and ill have them take care of it or bitch at them till they do.
Robert

Hi,

Where is the air handler located ? Any time you have cold air meeting warmer air, you will have condensation.

However, this is a known fact and therefore should be taken care of in advance to deter any problems.

You are correct to be concerned and need to stay after them to correct this issue immediately.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Robert wrote:Hi,

Where is the air handler located ? Any time you have cold air meeting warmer air, you will have condensation.

However, this is a known fact and therefore should be taken care of in advance to deter any problems.

You are correct to be concerned and need to stay after them to correct this issue immediately.

Robert

The air handler is located in the same small closet as the old coleman unit, and since ours is a vertical install the filter mounted in the bottom couldnt be used becasue the lines and drain block it, so they put in a new filter grate on the bottom of the stand in the front.

Overall the new unit is about the same size as the old one.

I understand that when cold and hot mix your going to get condensation, but why is it that the old unit didnt have this problem?

What can be done to fix this?
Robert

Hi,

Different units and different installers can be reason for unit doing something it didn't do before.

Without being there to see the install and what/how they did it, I can't give an answer as to what will resolve this.

It could be condensation, drip pan overflow, water pulled/thrown out of drip pan, too high blower speed, etc..., but is something they need to resolve.

You hired and paid them to do a job that is unsatisfactory, call and demand it be resolved immediately.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Yeah, i dont think its a leak from the drip pan, as the whole front of the outside of the unit is wet.

Im gonna call them in the morning and have them send somoebody out.

Ok, i just wanted to update this thread with what i found to be the problem. Seems i need to replace the solid door with a 20x20 filter vent in the bottom of it with a full louvered door, with the door open the condensation dries up, with it closed in a few hours its all wet again.

Basicically the guy said with the door closed its not gettign enought air flow back to the unit and pulling hot air from the roof and therefore causing the condensation.

So now im looking for a nice looking wooden full louvered door that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I found a metal one for 100 bucks, but i think a wood door will look better.

I know its just personall preferance.

Thanks as always for the help.
Robert

Hi,

Glad you got it figured out, that will cause that. Thanks for update and you're very welcome, happy to help.

Robert