Cross over Duct?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

help4MH

Hi,
Just wondering, read Mark's book, and I think I have another problem. I was looking under my double-wide to see if there was any water leak to be seen, and saw the "cross over" ducts.

I've always thought my "master bdrm bath rm" was as cold as an outhouse, and wondered why. After reading the book, and looking under , I think I know. I saw the duct from the "main hook-up" side pulled to the other side, but taped to the ground. Now is this wrong? I thought "Wow can't critters just crawl up into the vents this way?" Plus cold freezing air. Or do they tape them to the ground somewhere and I just don't know what I am seeing?

If it's wrong, how do I fix it? Thanks.
Barbara
Yanita

Hi Barbara,

A little confused, are you asking if the ducts are taped, or did you say they are taped to the ground.

Either way, your ducts are not suppose to be touching the ground. Do you have solid aluminum ducts or flex duct? Since you have the manuel look on page 5-1, shows a pic of the flexible duct.

If you have the flexible duct it is a pretty easy DIY repair to get it up off the ground, the important thing is to make sure there are no holes and you get a straight shot, try to reduce the amount of bends in the duct... the manuel shows all this.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
help4MH

Hi Yanita,
I can't crawl under physically myself. I'm not asking if the ducts are taped. I see that most the ducts are installed properly. But there is one, near the back of the house that comes out of the bottom of the vapor barrier, and literally is taped to the ground. It's been that way since the MH was put in 10yrs ago. I just didn't know what it was.

Looking at the page , it looks like a flexible duct. So if I just have a "handyman neighbor" straighten it out, and find where it's supposed to go, do what the book says, I'll have warmth in my bathroom?

Thanks. You sure know your stuff. I appreciate it.
Barbara
Robert

If it's the cross-over and it is unhooked at one end, you would not have any airflow on the half of the house where it is unhooked.

How big is it in diameter ?

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
help4MH

Robert.
wow, I'm showing my lack of knowledge here. But, it looks exactly like what is in Marks book. There is "no airflow" on the outer side of my double-wide. I thought when this MH was installed that it was just due to poor ventilation. I closed all the vents on the side where the "hookups" are. That side works GREAT. On the other side, no airflow. Nothing. Had to put a space heater in for awhile, during the winter.

As for diameter, wow, I honestly don't know, because I can't crawl under there, and I'm looking under the access panel. It comes down from the bathroom on the other side of the MH-the side w/o hook-ups, it's at the end of the MH, I"d have to guess , just looks exactly like what's in Mark's book. Is there a duct that "isn't a crossover"? Whatever it is, it literally is taped to the ground. Wish I could take a photo of it and post it for you.
Thanks ,
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
Robert

Hi,

Don't worry about size, you have given enough info to know it is the crossover duct.

Since you cannot tape nothing to the ground, I will assume it was taped to the other side connector collar and came loose.

Thus it is on the ground with all the tape around it.

The BEST way of repair is two 90* elbows and enough 4 ft. sheets of hard metal duct to span across between the ells.

IF, piers, etc. are in the way of that or it isn't feasible money wise, then next best way is get two 90* elbos, install them on collars at each end and stretch the flex duct tight between them.

The crossover needs to be tight without kinks, tears, and with as few bends as necessary.

The inner part of flex is a spiral wire. Screw 4 sheetmetal screws into collar or elbow in a square formation. Don't screw all the way in.

Then place spiral wire under lips of screws, then tighten them down.

Wrap with 2-3 turns of foil tape. Pull insulation part of flex up over that and over collar/elbow and wrap 4 rounds of foil tape around to hold to collar/elbow.

Then get one long or 2-3 shorter zip ties and place around insulation/collar or elbow and tighten down.

Be sure flex is stretched tight. Get new flex if damaged.

If you use all metal, you wrap insulation with vapor barrier around the metal ducts to insulate.

I've got a detailed step method on this I posted before. Maybe Mark can locate that for me, he had it saved for an upcoming article on crossovers.

Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Archie

So; is this the old looks like a duct, acts like a duct question :lol:

I would venture to geuss that yes it is one of your crossover ducts. The end of it may look like it is taped to the ground but upon closer inspection you will most likely see that it is not. It is probably the tape that was supposed to hold it in place and seal it from leaking from the homes other half. In short have your handy man go under and reconnect it, the connection should be pretty straight forward, and have him spend some time to make sure it will not come apart again.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
help4MH

Thank you so much you guys/girls. This website is awesome and the people are totally generous and kind. I appreciate no 1 laughing at my total lack of knowledge. But I'm slowly learning. I , at least will know what I'm asking for @ the "lumbar store" and my neighbor who is the handyman will know what to do, w/ the info you have given.

You are right, I'm not close enogh to see whether the duct is literally taped, like I thought, or if it fell off and looks like the tape is "taped onto the asphalt". It sure looks that way. I do know I've had this prob since I had the place installed. But then it could have been from poor ventilation, and I needed one of those vent "duct boosters". That's history now. Thank you so much and I'll have my neighbor take a look at it.
Barbara
"With no guilt,no pain, no sorrow ,or shame, whatever it is, we are all the same"
P.Gabriel
Robert

Hi Barbara,

You are very welcome. Holler if ya need any more info.

Robert
Yanita

Your welcome Barbara.

Keep reading that manual, LOL, these homes are not that complicated. You will comfort knowing how your home is constructed and getting the basics on how things are suppose to be repaired. Less stress when you have knowledge!

Take care!

Yanita

Thanks for jumping in Robert and Archie.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi Yanita,

You're very welcome as well.

I'm moving this to the Heating & Cooling Forum.

Take care and best wishes.
Robert