Should Drywall Be Glued Up?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy123

Every piece of paneling on the interior walls was glued. I have now removed all that paneling. We back dragged every stud of the old glue with multi tools so they are now clean / true. We are going to replaced all the paneling with Lift light/Ultra light drywall.

1) The question is should I glue up the drywall?
------

Footnotes / build process:

This trailer has been sitting here for 30 years. What ever settling it did was long long ago. The trailer is true and level. The new 1/2 drywall has a 25% reduction in weight per piece. Almost every floor joist was married together with a new one. Subfloor glue and screws were used of course. We cut 2 2x6's about 14 inches long (read to match) & glued them together with subfloor glue then screws. Then we screwed and glued them in place between every floor joist to the rim joist . We did the same with double stacked cuts of 2x6 screwed and glued along every seam where the plywood would lay. Then the 3/4 plywood (not tongue and groove) was screwed and glued down to this new / better built frame.

I certainly over built the floor joists & also under the walls/rim. Lets hope this place is ready for some U/L drywall...
Billy123

I need to add that I am also blocking the bottom of the walls with 2x4's. I found that the extra 1/2 of floor that I added doesn't line up with the bottom of the wall anymore. Yea I have 4 pieces of drywall installed. I can live with that but the rest wont be like that.

1) I wonder if I should block the top of the walls as well?
2) Would I gain and strength to my walls from doing that?

Thanks!
Greg

Extra blocking can't hurt, but if you are doing an outside wall it may be more difficult to do insulation.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Billy123

What about the glue Greg? lol
Greg

Many here use it, Shouldn't be a problem. Just remember not to glue an access panel down.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."