Flush mount window style. What style should I replace with?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy123

I have an older mobile home. This home has 2x3 stud walls. I have 1x2 furrow strips all the way around the home that are horizontal three times. They go around the top twice for the most part. One row about 8 inches down from the ceiling. The second row is then 15 inches below that. Then I have one row of furrow strips that are 15 inches from the floor. I presume the furrow strips are to keep the walls from racking. All the windows have 2x4 framing. The 2x4 are notched on the outside so the furrow strips lock in. This gives me in theory 2x4 construction walls on the cheap. As you can see in the picture there is no vapor barrier whatsoever. There was only insulation between the siding and the interior paneling.

Anyway here is some pictures of two windows. These windows do not go under the 4x8 aluminum siding. They are instead attached to the outside of the siding like an RV. Then they have screws that hold them to to 2x4 framing again over the siding.

I am not sure if it is RTV or (dumb dumb) aka putty tape that's sealing up the windows (Think RV Here).

Anyway later down the road I would like to put real vinyl siding over the aluminum panels. I can give you more specific info or pictures if you need it.

So my question to you guys is...

1) What kind of windows should I buy?
2) What do I use to seal them inside and out with?
3) Will I still be able to put vinyl on the outside of the house when I am ready?
DSCN0684.JPG
DSCN0695.JPG
DSCN0686.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve-WA

Double pane vinyl windows with nail fins. Back the fins with putty tape, use 1-1/4" stainless hex head screws (1/4" head). Then caulk around edges, and use trim if desired over the fins. You can later apply vinyl siding right over the fins.
Inside, I use white primed mdf to trimout the inside sill, and case molding around on the wall. White caulk the window-to-mdf joints, if desired.

Ta-da
Greg

I agree with the new construction type windows, but I prefer the looks of stained wood over white painted.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Billy123

Thanks guy for the answers! Can you answer another question?

With the corrugated way the aluminum panels are made. (think wavy)
1) How much putty tape should be used? This stuff is like 1/8 inch thick. (it's really thin) Should I go around the fin of the window twice? Meaning to stack it over top of each other so I have two layers of the tape.
Billy123

One more question! Sorry...

The Pella window I bought from Lowe's is bigger than the junk one currently installed in the home. So I need to re-frame for the window with new 2x4's.

1) What tool would yous guys use to cut those aluminum panels to size with?
2) At what stage of making all this fit back together would you cut those panels out larger?

Thank you for your time. You guys rock!
Billy
Greg

It's usually easier to build the frames first. Screw them in place since you won't be pounding on the walls and risking breaking walls.
I use tin snips, aluminum cuts easy.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

I special order windows @ Lowe's to fit. Screw reframing. Pita.
Last edited by Steve-WA on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy123

I remembered I have a 18v porter cable grinder and 4 inch cut wheels. That should make for a nice clean cut on the aluminum panels. If that doesn't work I guess the old tin snips will half to do. Thanks Greg

I could have ordered that window & I now wonder how much more it would cost. I know that the one i bought was 159.00

Everything is all ready open to re-frame them so it shouldn't be to bad. I like the fact that all my windows in the end will be a standard size. Steve thanks for the input as well.