Installing a new window where there was none.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gordo48111

Hi ladies and gents,

I have done numerous searches here and on google trying to find info on a brand new window install. All I can find is info on replacing an existing window. I want to put a window in my bathroom where this is no existing window. From what I've been able to gather, the window screws to the outside wall, not on the sides of the window frame. I get the removing the drywall thing and doing the framing for the new window. What I don't get is how I get access behind the siding to screw the window to the wall. Does the siding have to come off and how much trouble is that to do?

Gordo
"Man...that blowed up real good!"
ponch37300

There's a lot of variables to this. First you have to cut the hole and reframe the whole thing, needs a header put in and king and jack studs. Then your plates and cripples. A lot more to it then just cutting a hole the size of the window, will need to open up the drywall from floor to ceiling. Once framing is done you have a couple of options depending on what you have now. What kind of exterior siding do you have? If you have vinyl I like to pull it back and install a "new construction" window. Vinyl is easy to work with. If you have metal or wood you will have to see what the best option is. You can install a remodel window in the new opening so you can screw thru the window and into the side framing. Then just have to trim the outside to seal it up. Spray foam the gap between the window and the studs. Then trim out the inside with extension jamb and re drywall the area. Then add your interior trim to cover the gap between the extension jamb and drywall.

Every situation is different and will require a different approach depending on what you have to work with.
gordo48111

Thanks for the reply, ponch. Here is my situation: none of the windows on my home are trimmed out. The windows have a flat fin all the way around that lays against the siding, with the siding extending behind that fin about an inch. Anything different than that will stand out like a sore thumb. So it seems I need to pull back the siding as you put it. This is where I need more specific details on what you mean by "pull it back" so I don't damage it.
DaleM

Can you post a pic of one of your windows and where you want to put in the new one?
ponch37300

gordo48111 wrote:Thanks for the reply, ponch. Here is my situation: none of the windows on my home are trimmed out. The windows have a flat fin all the way around that lays against the siding, with the siding extending behind that fin about an inch. Anything different than that will stand out like a sore thumb. So it seems I need to pull back the siding as you put it. This is where I need more specific details on what you mean by "pull it back" so I don't damage it.
When you say flat fin are you talking about the nailing flange on new construction type windows? A picture would really help here of an existing window showing the fin and how it mates with the siding.
gordo48111

I will work on posting pics. I don't have the latest digital technology and it's a pain in the a$$ getting a pic from my phone to the memory card, to the computer, and here. Maybe that should be my next priority, lol. Let me know if there is any particular procedure involved in posting pics here. I'm not sure about the correct terminology but there is what you might call a flange that extends around the exterior perimeter of the window and lays up against the siding, covering about an inch of the siding all the way around. I can't describe it any better than that. Nothing is nailed on that flange, I assume there is a nailing fin on the inside perimeter of the window which is why I've asked what's involved in pulling back the siding to access the nailing flange.
ponch37300

Does your phone have email or a USB cord to charge it? Those are the easiest way to transfer pics if your phone has those options. I usually just email the pics to myself from my phone and then save them to my computer.

To post pictures on the forum you scroll down and next to options you will see "upload attachments". Click on that tab and then browse your computer to find the file you want to upload.
gordo48111

I have taken 4 pics and uploaded them to my computer but when I try to attach just one pic to my post, I get a message saying the file is too big. I tried....
ponch37300

I guess you will have to resize them. The easiest way to do this is a photo hosting site such as photobucket or any of the others that are free. You just upload to that site and then on the right hand side you will see a code for IMG, just click on it and then come back here and paste(CTRL+V) the code into your post and the photo will show up. Kind of a pain but can really help explain things.

Another option is to do a google image search and try and find a similar picture to link to.
Greg

Picasa is a free google photo program that stores & resizes your photos. nice and easy to use.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gordo48111

I must have been doing something incorrectly because these pics don't come anywhere close to the 250 KB size limit after I resized them. They should be good enough though to indicate what I have, and what is involved to install a similar window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

That looks like a normal new construction window with the J-channel included for the siding. I would start with removing the siding back to expose the area where you want the new window then from the inside mark the area on the wall where the window is going to go and then take out the drywall. After making sure there is now wires or plumbing in the way drill a hole at each corner from the inside to the outside then go out and remove the sheathing where the window will go but make sure you only cut what is needed for the new window to drop in. Frame out for the window (i don't think you would need a strong header on the gable end of the house, straight 2x4 framing should be fine) then install it with the nailing flange, cover nailing flange with seaming tape then cut and put your siding back on. Then finish the inside. This is the type of window that I would put in. Of course you would have to choose the right size.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_318603-1257-748 ... by%20Pella
Ron
ponch37300

A Picture is worth a thousand words!

As mentioned those are just regular new construction windows that have the siding trim, or J channel built in. Their really nice to use and look a lot cleaner then trimming out with J channel.

Like house medic said pull back the siding using a zip tool. Cut out the hole and frame in for new opening. Install window and then I like to use a rubber sealer in addition to caulking behind the nailing flange, like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Protecto-Wra ... maSRJV3tjo. There is a specific way it goes on as in bottom first then sides and then top and it should have instructions with it. Then trim siding to fit and nail back on. Patch any drywall on the inside. Then trim out the inside with extension jamb and molding and enjoy your new window!
gordo48111

Guys I really appreciate your input. Now I have to revert back to my original question, which is how do I go about pulling back the siding? A zip tool is what I need to pull back the siding? Is it available at HD or Lowe's? Where do I start on the siding? It appears I will have to cut and bend the siding enough to fit behind the sides of the J channel of the new window. How far back do I need to pull the siding to ensure it won't crease or crack when I bend it? Will I need to use a bigger nail when reinstalling the siding using the same holes or should I drive the nails into different places in the siding? I assume the rubber sealant would be applied on the outer dimension of the J channel with the caulk applied more to the inside. Any other info you can provide that I haven't mentioned here is appreciated. It will be a while before I undertake this. Should I repost here once it is done, or create a new thread? Thanks again.
HouseMedic

First, The Protecto wrap is what I was talking about in my other post. I have always put it under before and over the nailing flange after nailing in the window and it is the only sealant you will need. Second, this is the tool you need to unzip the siding. You can use just about anything but some brands are tighter then others so this tool will help a lot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Malco-SideSw ... mbXeVP6eng

Also read through this installation booklet on vinyl siding. You won't have to do it all but learn about the nailing and cutting of it. Nailing it to tight will result in buckling.
http://www.vinylsiding.org/PUBLICATIONS ... nglish.pdf

If you are not sure of what you are doing I would get someone that has done some siding work to help you out.

Ron