ISO magnetic fan

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nashdude

While I was attending college, I lived with my Dad in an older model singlewide. In the kitchen was the most unique exhaust fan I'd ever seen.

You began operation by pulling a bead chain out of its chainrest and letting go, opening a spring-loaded cover and starting the fan. To turn it off, you would pull the cover closed with the bead chain and replace it on the chainrest. What was unique about this fan is that it would operate whether the power to the trailer was on or off. I can only assume that it was magnetic.

Anyone have any idea what these fans were called and where I might find one? I've searched the net for them, but have turned up nothing.
Greg

That's a new one on me. The style of fan that you are talking about was very common in the older homes, but everyone that I have seen was electric. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

Do you mean the fan ran if there was a power outage?

I was working with an electrician this week. He said if I would trace and diagram as many of the outlets, breakers etc before he came to work on the MH, I could save on his fee.

I thought the water heater was wired to certain breakers, but when the electrician checked, THE WATER HEATER CIRCUIT BREAKER WAS WIRED OUT IN THE MAIN BOX, ON THE ELECTRIC POLE.

This means there is no way to turn the power off to the water heater inside the trailer, the water heater breaker is outside 15 feet away from the home. this would be "ok", except they buried the wire, and it is not the grade that can be buried. I get to learn how to dig a trench.....

so I wonder if your fan was directly wired into the house somehow, and it just did not have an on off switch.

Brenda
Yanita

Hi,

Are you looking to purchase one.

I doubt they are still on the market but if your area has a MH salvage area you might find one there.

You might find one in various consignment type, junk, thrift stores. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity stores as well.

These are not energy efficient items. The door that releases when the fan comes on does not seal tightly. Some folks that I knew in the park I used to live in has these in rental homes. Everyone without fail put plastic over these in the winter months.

Maybe others will have other suggestions.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
hvac1000

Those fans are still available. They are marketed under the name Broan or Nutone. They come in 8 or 10 inch round size and will extend or collapse to fit various wall thicknesses. They seal real tight when closed thanks to a felt ring seal.

See here

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?CategoryID=790

These are pull chain fans. I have one in my home right above the stove burners. It takes the water vapor and cooking odor right out of the house. It also makes a great vent for smoke for when the guys meet for a poker game. That is when my wife allows me to have a poker game. LOL
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Yanita

Thanks HVAC,

Certainly did not realize these were still in existance. They certainly look alot nicer than the orginals.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
NancyKay

I have one of these fans above my stove. I am curious as to how they work. It is a neat little thing, though I hardly ever use it, but what does "magnetic" mean?
NancyKay