Walking on roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wislndixie

I need to get on the roof of my mobile home and was wondering if there is a problem with walking on the roof. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me to lay a 4x8 3/4" plywood board on the roof and walk on that. Suggestions?
hvac1000

There are many types of Mobile Home roofs. Which one do you have? If it is metal you will need to take extra care as you do not want to walk where there is no support. If you are a heavy style person you definitely need to be extra careful.

We have a man down at my camp that is real thin and younger than most of us. He coats roofs for all the tenants and can move around the roof real easy and cause no damage. As you see a lot depends upon your ability,type of roof,and weight for balance purposes.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
wislndixie

The roof is a standard aluminum roof. It's not a metal roof.
Yanita

Hi,

You have been given the correct info.

If a lightweight person is going to be on the roof make sure they stay on the trusses.

If a heavier person is going to be up there, then yes use a sheet of plywood to disperse the weight.

Nobody should walk on the outer most edges of the roof.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi wislndixie,

Aluminum, metal, all the same thing. If it isn't a composite or shingled roof, you need to use care up on your roof. I won't let anyone over a certain weight on my roof, and I have a roof over. But the trusses are what they are!

We're fairly small here in our family. Except our adopted son. He's 6'4" and weighs, well.... twice as much as we do LOL! He knows construction, but I won't allow him on the roof! He's also the one that has no fear of heights what so ever.

My mobile home repair guy, the one that we use when we don't have time or ability to fix stuff, is small. He has my okay to go up on the roof and I know that he knows what he's doing.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'