What kind of tape?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

Unfortunately, I am going to have to put plastic over my windows again this winter on the inside and I'm thinking of putting it on the outside as well. I have a metal trailer. What kind of tape will hold the plastic on the outside all winter without coming off and yet won't be a pain to get off in the spring?
Yanita

Hi Busybee,

Wow, never a day off with you LOL!

Anyways, I do not know of a tape that will secure to the outside of your home without leaving some sort of adhesive behind, not to say there isn't one though.

For the inside, slightly more expensive but you can get the clear plastic that is applied with a blow dryer. This works real well, used it the first fall we were here before the new windows and doors were installed.

Now I do know that up North we had some folks that would take an entire roll of 6 mil plastic and drape it across the back of their home. To hold it in place the used the dreaded cinder blocks on top of the home, and some on the ground...tacky yup! Effective, certainly.

Maybe others will have a better solution for you.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

I used the shrink plastic window covering kits over some windows last year, and I overdid the hair drying to get out wrinkles step. and when the plastic had the sun shining on it, it pulled off the tape.

if you can live with the wrinkles, you may not want to do the hair dryer step. The sheet was the exact size of the tape outline after the shrink step, and I had a challenging getting it retaped back onto the window. Maybe I just am not meant to blow dry plastic film lol

Brenda
Greg

They do make an outside plastic for storms, I would have my doubts as to how much help it would be. Add the wind factor trying to blow it off or at the very least make it flap and I don't think I would do it my self. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Bill

You might look into blue painters tape. It's considered "semi-sticky," but sticks pretty well. I've used it for painting, and leaving it on for a while made it difficult, not impossible, to remove, so it may work for you. I don't know how well it it will weather, but it would be worth looking into at least.
altasnowman

HI busybee ,
You might try old fashioned freezer tape it should work as long as it has a clean surface to attach to and it will remove quite easily in the spring and if there is a residue from the glue you can clean that off with a rag and some lighter fluid. freeze tape should be available at your local hardware store,if you can not get there than try your local butcher.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......