Removing a mobile home fireplace

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

taterbug716

We are thinking of removing the fireplace in our trailer. We used it once and my husband tried to burn the place down, so now it just takes up a corner of the wall. We know we can do it, it's just a matter of what is behind the fireplace wall itself. He did construction for close to 10 years and can fix the wall and ceiling after we take it out. But we don't have any idea what is back there. If anybody can help that would be great.

It is a 1987 Oakwood single wide, 16 x 56 (60), and the fireplace is wood burning and in the corner of our living room(backing a bedroom).

Thanks, Susan
Last edited by taterbug716 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Hi Susan,

I'm moving this over to the Repair Forum for more exposure and quicker answers.

Please follow it over there.

Here is a link to this question being asked recently:

http://mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1440

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Typically, you will just have a fire resistant wall covering. The rest of the wall is usually the same as the rest of the house. It should be insulated the same and could be repaired as any wall would be.

If the roof stack is in good condition, I would leave it until a roof replacement was needed. I find it a lot easier to seal a roof jack than it is to get a flat repair on the roof not to leak.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Nichodemus

I removed the fireplace in my doublewide. Basically, I took down the flimsy framing around it and around the chimney, cut the chimney pipe at the ceiling (roof jack had already been removed in the last re-shingling job) and covered up the hole, and removed the fireplace itself. It was just screwed down to the floor, with a couple of vents going under the house. I removed all that, and there was actually matching paneling behind the fireplace and chimney anyway. Although I ended up putting up sheetrock anyway.

It was not nearly as complicated as I feared it would be.