Carport Support Posts

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

warren49

Our carport awning is about 12-16 inches narrower than our concrete driveway. Currently, the supports are tilted at an angle, which works fine (and it gives the place an interesting look). However, we just had a ramp built and the room for our vehicles is restricted. I would like to replace the existing posts with the kind that I call "offset" posts, which are straight until about 6 feet or so, then go to an angle to intersect the carport awning. It will give us an extra 6 or 8 inches for the cars.

I am having a difficult time finding these types of posts, but I have seen them before. Any ideas as to where I can find them?
JD
Site Admin

I don't know where you are from, but they can be ordered (at least in Californa) from C&R Pier.

http://www.crpier.com/catalog/awningsdecks/i2.htm

If you print out the picture, I would bet any welder could make them for you. It is up to you to be sure they would pass your local building codes. Lot's of people use them here. They are VERY expensive, though. I think $150 apiece. I would think a welder could make them for less.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
warren49

In fact, I do live in Clovis, CA. Thanks for the info. I know they are expensive, but I was hoping to find someplace on the Internet. I had not thought about having someone custom build them. Again, thanks.
JD
Site Admin

Hey Neighbor,

C&R Piers is in Sacramento but deliver to Fresno almost weekly. Still, I am sure a welder is cheaper.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.