Splitting of the house

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BEKM

I have noticed that my marriage line is beginning to split/crack on my home straight across from my garage. This is a bit concerning, what should be done to correct this? I have noticed that the garage is splitting from the home also. I was going to fill it in with caulking but thought I would ask the pros before I proceed.

Thanks,
Brian
BEKM
JD
Site Admin

Hi Brian,

Small cracks and separations at marriage lines is an expected thing with mobile/manufactured homes. It only means that there has been movement since it was set-up. That movement usually means that the home has settled and is not as level as it once was. Even homes on concrete pads with footers will settled, although not as much as a home set on piers on top of dirt. These cracks also occur in stick-built homes as the framing itself settles.

I tell my customers that having a mobile home releveled is a maintenance item that should be done every 8 years or so. Homes set on slabs may need less, homes set on dirt previously used for agriculture may need a relevel a lot more often. This is especially true when proper compaction or compaction tests were not performed.

Should you relevel a home at the first sign of cracks? You could, but you may be doing a lot of relevels. It is best to check the marriage joint from under the home and at the ridge cap to be sure this is not a true separation problem. If it proves to be just a leveling problem, you may want to just fill the cracks with spackle (if this sheetrock walls) until your next scheduled relevel. You will need to determine how often your home needs to be leveled by the amount of movement in a given amount of time.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
BEKM

Thanks for the advice on the home. My home has been here for just over 10 years without a leveling and it is on a full slab of cement with blocking. I will check below and above as stated.

Brian
BEKM