A/C replacment Questions

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Ok, well i posted up the other day having problems wit my a/c freezing up and leaking water everywhere and its been doing it awhile and we didnt realize it.

Anyways, we had ARS come out and take a look at it, and they said the problem was a VERY dirty and clogged up a-coil, from lack of filtration. unit is a colman, is 14 years old, is a 4 ton, and they gave us some options.

Option 1: replace the a-coil, build a new stand for the air handler to sit on that is sealed to the bottom of the unit with a filter so the return air is properly filtered. Cost 5500, 1900 for a new coil and the rest to pay to remove and reinstall the air handler and build the stand,

Option 2: replace the entire air handler with a new Carrier unit and also build a new stand, but the new unit has the filter built into the bottom of it, like my colman is suppose to have but it was gone before we moved here in 03. Cost 3500

Option 3: replace everything, air handler and condensor with a new 13 SEER carrier heat pump system that will be more efficient than the electric unit we have now. Cost 7200 and that includes a new stand as well and has the filter built into the bottom if it.

The above prices include install, and i have been leaning towards a heat pump system to try and get the greatest energy savings, as i am tired of getting 400 dollar light bills in the summer time. We have been here since 03, and have a 10 year plan of staying here so another 6 years at the most, but there is alot of development right around my subdivision and there has been talks of the whole subdivision getting bought out to build more siter built homes here, but not sure of that will ever happen.

Looking for some opionions on the above prices i was quoted, and weather or not a heat pump is the right choice.

Thanks
Robert

Hi,

The prices are high, not a fan of ARS (will not go into detail) and the unit replacements have to be MH units in order to not damage the MH ductwork which is different from conventional homes.

The blower motor must be rated for MH ducts.

To save me time from having to look at other thread again, what was your furnace model number ?

It is a very old system, but if filtering and dirty coil are only problems, those are both easy DIY tasks.

I would suggest cleaning and taking care of filter situation and then shop around while making an informed decision on best needs to suit your situation.

When every option comes with a high dollar tag from the dealer company, a few other estimates are advised and some time to think about things.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

My unit is a Coleman #3500A916

also i have the ducts in the ceiling, not sure if that makes any differance.

We went ahead and had everything replaced with a Carrier Comfort series Heat pump, ARS gave us a little better price of 6563 installed for everything.

the carrier unit is a 25HCR on the outside condensor unit and the air handler is FA4C, FC4D, FH4C and it says its can be used for upflow, horizontal, downflow and manufactured and mobile homes, so hopefully i wont have any problems.
Robert

Hi,

Glad you got it taken care of. As long as it states can be used in MH, you're covered and ok.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?