metal roof on double wide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Damarria

I had a metal roof put on my double wide mobile home 3 years ago. It leaks. The man who installed it said the roof is not leaking that its the soffits. I had two other roofers looking at the roof and they said its not the soffits, but rather the metal roof was not installed correctly. There is no water and ice shield under the metal (the roofer told me you don't need water and ice shield under a metal roof). Also the metal was nailed on top of my old shingles which he said was ok to do, but he didn't use any strapping under the metal roof, he just nailed the metal directly to the shingles.

Since then this man has skipped town and I can't find him.
I've decided I am going to fix the roof myself instead of relying on roofers who each give me a different view of how to fix the roof.

I see repair guides are for sale on this site; is there info in any of these guides for installing a metal roof on a double wide mobile home?

Thanks!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Let me see if I this right. You have a metal roof nailed directly over a shingled roof?? JD is our roof expert, but I can honestly say that I have never heard of doing it that way. That is not to say it would not work, just that I have never heard of it. I'm sure JD will see this and add to it.
As for a manual, Mark, the owner of this site has written a book that covers about any problem you will ever encounter, it is written in a generic form. I highly recommend it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

HI,

Again, welcome to the site.

Until JD comes to your rescue go to the Articles link above, scroll down about 1/2 way and you will see an article on metal roofs.

Good luck,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
altasnowman

Hi Greg and welcome,
good for you in deciding to do roof yourself. if you order Marks repair book you will find a section on doing reroofs. as long as your home is level and tied together you should not have any problems (as far as i can see)as you are working on a bigger roof. I think that JD will agree with me, but would suggest that you order Marks repair book and read the section on doing a roof. when you start take some pics and post here so we can see how you ae progressing, wishing you all the best and no rain in your forecast.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
JD
Site Admin

The shingles definitely should have been removed before installing the metal. Ice & Water Shield would be nice, but expensive as a roof underlayment. But if there are face nailed fasteners in the metal, the Ice & Water Shield would self-heal around all the fasteners.

As everyone has said, Mark's repair manual is highly suggested. There are several forum members that have used that info to install their metal roof. Take a look at these pics from VCFD. He just recently installed this roof.

http://mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/album.php?user_id=378

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.