DUCTLESS AC

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

I was wondering if anyone has used ductless or split ac unit in home . My furnace is only a few years old and we only have kerosene or oil up here , I have had heat pumps down south and they didnt work to great when it got real cold in virginia. I live in maine now and it can get well below zero. I am tired of window ac units . I have a 14 by 66 . The home is well insulated and i am redoing the underbelly. I can add a unit to my furnace but that would cost about twice as much more plus labor then for ductless or split sytem. It doesnt usually get to hot but it does get around a 100 some times in august and I get cooked inside without ac.They have some LG units on sale and some amibiance systems. Its like 1095.00 for 18000 btu's and a 9000 btu is 775.00 . i was thinking 18000 for most of home and 9000 for bedroom. Havent got a quote on sytem that can be added to miller furnace ( cmf 80 PO Conv) to kerosene .Oil freezes outside here.
hvac1000

Ductless systems require professional installation since there are a inside and outside parts that need to be brazed or connected and it also has to has a vacuum pulled and the unit charged checked. The units will also need electric power to them and the proper disconnect means. A ductless might be cheaper price wise at first look but can cost almost as much as regular central air.

We have a few ductless systems in mobiles at camp. They work but the person doing the install and setup better know exactly what they are doing. Some of the line sets on these type of units act as a flow control cap tube design and need special attention when charging with refrigerant.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hello , Thank you for the info . I will check into it more . I actually prefer a seperate system so I dont have to worry about condensation in the belly . I dont want replace that membrane again for a long time . I can do all the electrical work my self and some of the units have pre- solder pipes in some differrent length's
. I can do all the work except for charging system. I was more worried about performance . I figured cost would be close to that of one added to furnace . I may be a little to paroniod about water gettting on insulation in belly . It just gets moldy and smells bad. central ac might be better , just not sure if duct work I have is good enough . It isnt sealed the greatest . But that I think is a benifit when its -20 F because water lines are close to ducting . Not sure what is best . I have worked with mobile ac in cars and have friends That work industrial HVAC . I will heed your reconmendation and get pro's advice first . I dont want to waste money .